A&H

Unsporting match incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
@G Referee SCO ,
A couple of questions for you.
How long have you been refereeing?
Do the goal keeper or his team mates take offence to the striker's overhead kick?

A&H International
No because the ball is in play and he can put it in the net anyway he likes, within the laws of the game

So what laws say he cant do a keepie up then batter it back to the gk?
Yours?

I hear ya if he doing it four times and the other team are greeting and you have politely asked if he could simply knock the ball back

Things happen during a game which might not be perfect. Life is not perfect. You need to accept and expect a bit of tom foolerly at grass roots.

I would be thankful for the replacement ball full stop. Would you rather nobody fired a new ball on and the gk had to walk to the touchline to get one?

Game at Bramall Lane on Saturday, Swansea defenders on 3 or 4 occasions could have easily passed the ball back to their keeper or our corner taker to take dead ball free kicks or goal kicks but all chose to walk past or over the ball to slow the game down and play for a point as the ball was very near them... it was so infuriating to the crowd and 100% gamesmanship in wasting valuable seconds at 1~1... The professionals are exactly that, professional cheats. At the lower levels this hardly never happens and most player do their best to hurry play up!

About 4months
Yes they complained and back line were annoyed with player
With more experience you will learn how to 'manage' this situation in a way which is seen as fair by everyone, the defending team, the opponents and observers and spectators.
A public word would have been a more appropriate action to take here. You'd be stretching it to justify a yellow card and it would be seen as harsh by many.

@G Referee SCO I have some good news, and some bad.

First the bad news. You got that call wrong. Shouldn’t have carded for that.

Now the good news: regardless of what others may say, you will probably go on to be a good ref. Why? Because you’ve doubted yourself, and you’ve taken steps to rectify that.

The “learning environment” is difficult for a new (and not so new refs) ploughing our trade at the lowest levels: we’re on our own. Typically, 11 players and 1 manager will agree with your decisions, whilst 11 players and 1 manager will disagree. You get no unbiased sense of if you are doing a good job or not. For me, as time went on and teams were happy(or, at least, not unhappy) to see me rock up to officiate their games, I realised that I must be doing something right.

You have to become reflective, self aware and analytical. Using this site can be a great resource to ask questions if you are unsure of actions you have taken on the pitch, do come and share them here. On the whole, the forum is forgiving if you come seeking advice having (possibly) got something wrong.

Thanks for the advice & the supportive words.
I am glad to have posted this in the forum to receive feedback.
I made a wrong call but will use the experience not to make the same mistake again.
I understand the reactions.

However, just to defend you a little: "in the opinion of..." In the end, if you thought it was unsportsmanlike behaviour, then it was, and you were right to give the yellow card. It's one of those you-had-to-be-there moments.

That said, it does seem that, in this case, if you had given the player a strong "ceremonial" verbal warning and the "cutting the grass" arms, you would have pleasantly surprised the GK's team and been well appreciated by all those present.

Welcome to the new season everyone. A rookie referee has posted asking for advice on a decision he made. Can we all keep the advice positive? I'm sick of newbies being asked if refereeing is for them just because they got a decision wrong. I honestly feel some on here think they've never made a mistake in a game!

Bit harsh Miley.......could’ve been a bit more supportive......
@Padfoot you are the last person on here I expected this post to come from :)

That was an incorrect decision for sure. Unsporting behaviour is pretty well defined here: https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Pages 44-57.
That is an old document. In either case it is not a definition of USB, it is a list of circumstances. The same list is in the current LOTG. The key is to understand that its not an exclusive list.

1533599998476.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the new season everyone. A rookie referee has posted asking for advice on a decision he made. Can we all keep the advice positive? I'm sick of newbies being asked if refereeing is for them just because they got a decision wrong. I honestly feel some on here think they've never made a mistake in a game!

Positive? How on earth can anybody learn if they are told everything they do has gold sprinkles in it
If you mean me,if you notice, I never once said what he did was wrong IF HE considers something has happened which is worthy of a yc
My point was about the mind set of somebody who would class the actions in the op as being unsporting
Again if you mean me, I gave my thoughts on it (which is what the poster wanted in ths first place) and justified why
What more could anybody wish for

:stop:

This thread is going nowhere useful. A question by a novice referee about a decision he has made has descended into an unnecessary argument. We could have been more supportive and explained by we all felt it was a poor decision, but NO.

So locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back