The Ref Stop

United spurs.

Ori

Ok. I can’t see how the sending off wasn’t lowered to a yellow? What am I missing?

Don’t get me wrong, United suffering ref decisions does delight me. ;)

The Ref Stop
It will have been reviewed and all reds are. But it’s not obvious enough for VAR to get involved with this season. Last season I think they probably would have.
The correct terminology for VAR is that it was checked, but not reviewed. VAR checks it, if it's clearly and obviously wrong then recommends the the referee to review it.

I also think it was yellow. But VAR was correct not to intervene. Red is not a clear and obvious error.

Yes it is.
If this isn't "C&O" then we accept a SFP decision is never going to be overturned this season. Fine. I look forward to this consistent approach.

Reactions: es1
I think a VAR Review would be appropriate, it wasn't SFP, it was a trip with the side of the boot.

Although from the referee’s view it did look like studs to shin, so accept why he saw it as SFP.

So for me it was C&O. (Not a fan of either team).

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...-game-between-manchester-united-and-tottenham

I suspect the AR has advised RC.
The angle he has is the only one where it looks like Bruno has caught him on his knee. (Which he hasn't). I can understand the on field decision (as incorrect as it was) but VAR not correcting is just another howler.

Empower VAR to make the right decision and we'll see better decisions.
But most KMI decisions are subjective………….. What is right or wrong is difficult, it is often opinion which is why it is best advice to leave to on-field decision unless C&O.

I also would like to add, I don't think VAR's should not get involved because they can see/understand why a referee may of gone yellow/red. If the video evidence suggests the tackle is more reckless rather than dangerous then a referee producing a red should be seen in their eyes as a potential error and it should be the same the other way round.

This "referees call" terminology is how I'm suspecting it might go is putting VAR's hands tied a little bit. It really feels almost like the first season of VAR where subjective decisions are being kept to the on field team despite as we all know not every decision is going to be correct by them. At least Howard Webb allows his refs to use the review area but as I said last week in the Martinez incidents, VARs have to be a bit braver if video evidence seems to contradict the referees decision. For me I don't like this referees decision is potentially wrong but not wrong enough for a VAR overturn. It's surely not what VAR is there for.

Back