A&H

Uncomfortable game

NewRef19

Hi everyone, I'm new to this (6 games in). I've just had my most uncomfortable game so far - I wasn't great and my positioning was pants at times but I also got a lot of stick from folk who didn't know the LOTG so thought I didn't know what I was doing when I did things they didn't expect. So, 2 questions:

1. Any tips for getting over a bad game?
2. If spectators or coaches are getting shouty about your decisions and it's because they've got the wrong end of the stick, do you ever address that with them?

The Referee Store
1. Try and switch off. Go do something different from football, hit the gym or go out, whatever, just get away from the game until your next fixture. It is difficult to do, and no doubt you'll have a few late nights where you dwell on things, but try and remember it's just a game at the end of the day and chances are you didn't do as badly as people tried to make out.

2. Spectators, no. Steer well clear.

Coaches yes, especially now they can be cautioned/dismissed. If they're getting too lippy, go have a word with them. I prefer to warn before cautioning unless their offence is pretty blatant, in which case skip the warning.

1. A nice cold beer . . . seriously, just like good athletes, good refs have to have selective memory and move on from mistakes. Lean what you can from the game and move on. We all make mistakes, and we all have off games. You just have to know you're going to have a better one.

2. If you mean do you give them extra slack if you think you blew a call, then yes. But only a little bit of extra slack. Your mistake does not excuse the coach's irresponsible behavior.

What level-age group is it mate ?

Im asking as regarding second part of the question different sanctions can be used depending on age-level.

Answer to 1 is most definitely a few cold ones.

1. Whenever I was disappointed with my performance, i'd beat myself up a bit. But within a couple of days i'd look forward to the next match, and set myself a target of having a faultless game. Don't worry ! The fact you are analysing your performance (positioning), is a good sign. It will help you improve as you go along.
2. As above. We have the tools to deal with managers (who should know better). You can't vouch for spectators that don't know the laws, so I wouldn't get involved.

While you cant vouch for spectators you can still have them removed from the playing area and away from the pitch (mainly kids football)

1. Get support by talking to colleagues. It's just about letting others know. Coming to this forum is good.
Also follow it up with doing things you enjoy. Cold beer is an option if you drink. I cook a nice meal for my family :)

2. As said above no spectators. If they are getting out of hand get home team/club official to take care of them.
Coaches and team officials, always deal with it as soon as possible. If I think I may have made a poor call leading to it, I'm am a bit more leninent in the way I deal with it. Something like "ok, you have made your point and I have heard you. Please get on with the game now." It is imperative that you make sure whatever you do and say sends the massage you are the authority on this game and would do what it takes to keep it under control.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this (6 games in). I've just had my most uncomfortable game so far - I wasn't great and my positioning was pants at times but I also got a lot of stick from folk who didn't know the LOTG so thought I didn't know what I was doing when I did things they didn't expect. So, 2 questions:

1. Any tips for getting over a bad game?
2. If spectators or coaches are getting shouty about your decisions and it's because they've got the wrong end of the stick, do you ever address that with them?
I've used this analogy before, but you still soiling your nappy 5 times a game after only 6 outings
After 100+ games, one is still learning to walk in short trousers
I'm not sure what advice can be given. Mistakes of all flavours will be commonplace. All you can do is get out there, make them and learn from them. It's an uncomfortable experience in those diapers. There are many referees who keep them on for life. Don't be one of them :flip:

1. Any tips for getting over a bad game? Yep, get onto your next game as soon as possible and put it out of your mind (other than self- evaluating and identifying where you can improve). Sometimes you need to change your mindset. You may not have had a bad game, you've just allowed the players and lines to convince you that you have had a bad game.
2. If spectators or coaches get shouty about decisions, it is irrelevant if you were right or wrong, you should still expect a certain level of respect and if you don't get it, move them on or caution the officials. (I realise if this is a game at a high level with a large crowd that would be difficult).

It's amazing sometimes how much behaviour improves once a parent or coach is asked to leave.

Back