A&H

Junior/Youth U15 Yellow Cards?

Ge0rge

Had a game today which was a heated affair but only one card. A yellow for USB AA. However, in the first ten minutes, I gave the home team a free kick for a late challenge. The player who committed the foul then proceeded to kick the ball away. The home player responded by calling him a d*******. I spoke to the player and he said that he was just frustrated that the opposition had kicked the ball away. From this incident I have two questions:

1) Should I have cautioned the player for kicking the ball away? It had no real impact on the game and it was an U15s game. At what age group do yellows start coming out for this offence? Having played at U15 4 years ago, I personally viewed that it would have been very harsh for a first offence and for that game as well.

2) What, if any, card should have gone to the player for the home team. The player was not physically violent nor did he show disrespect to me throughout the game. Is this just a teenager or should it have resulted in a card? (coincidentally he was the player whom I later booked for USB)

I am going to be starting on a new league in a fortnight so I just wanted these queries to be answered by then.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

The Referee Store
1. yes
2. from 9 Aside is a rough guide when to start cautioning but for certain things spitting, punching all the really nasty stuff you can use in mini soccer.
The player who swore at the other player, you could caution for AA but I would have a word and tell him if he does it again you will take action

1. yes
2. from 9 Aside is a rough guide when to start cautioning but for certain things spitting, punching all the really nasty stuff you can use in mini soccer.
The player who swore at the other player, you could caution for AA but I would have a word and tell him if he does it again you will take action
Thank you. Just wanted to iron out these creases :)

I find U15 the worst age group for discipline and most certainly issue cards from the off. If you book the player for kicking the ball away though I would say you would then have to book the player who said d*********. I'm trying to guess what he said. If he swore, I would even consider sending him off after booking the other player. But saying that, early on in the game, a bollocking for both would probably be appropriate

I probably would have told the kicking player that had he said nothing, you would have cautioned the other guy. But now he gets away with it because you don't want to caution both of them. Then, gently but forcefully, remind him that you can handle those sorts of things.

As a general rule, at U15, these are the types of things that need to be cautioned. The boys are old enough to push the boundaries now and try to figure out what they can do. Nip it in the bud early and you'll have them all behaving well. Let it go on a bit and they will get carried away with hormonal silliness. Spare the rod, and all of that.

Back