A&H

U15 player issue

Felly

Had to caution a player for delaying restart. He was querying why he was being cautioned which I obviously explained and asked for his name.’Jack’ he says and walks away. He then refused to come back to give me the rest of his name! At this point, his coach shouted that he would remove him and that seemed like an ok outcome. However, I am questioning whether I should have insisted on giving him a dissent yellow and sin bin (I recognise that this is the lotg here). There were only a couple of mins left at this point and my thinking was that insisting on the letter of the law would possibly inflame things rather than calm them. No complaints from the opposition btw.

The Referee Store
You could, and would be fully within your rights to put him in the bin. That’s the prevailing opinion among the members on here.

The other option - and the one I personally favour - is to report afterwards as a separate misconduct report. Failing to give a name when required, or giving a false name carry a separate charge.

Back when we used to have to complete a written report for every caution rather than box and code, (sometimes in triplicate!) this was added to bottom of the description.

The advent of the sin bin, does make life easier for you though. If you’re happier and more comfortable using it in this situation, do so. In all likelihood that’s why the manager has said immediately he’s taking him off - it’s not about doing you the favour as much as keeping his side at the full contingent.

Had to caution a player for delaying restart. He was querying why he was being cautioned which I obviously explained and asked for his name.’Jack’ he says and walks away. He then refused to come back to give me the rest of his name! At this point, his coach shouted that he would remove him and that seemed like an ok outcome. However, I am questioning whether I should have insisted on giving him a dissent yellow and sin bin (I recognise that this is the lotg here). There were only a couple of mins left at this point and my thinking was that insisting on the letter of the law would possibly inflame things rather than calm them. No complaints from the opposition btw.
Assuming you are in England, there is a need to record the player's full name, so the options would include:
(a) Tell the coach or captain that if the player doesn't give you the full name, he will be seeing a second yellow card;
(b) Let the coach remove him then report the name given to you by the player with a potential misconduct charge to follow (the county FA will ask why you allowed tbe coach to remove the player!)
(c) Issue the second caution for unsporting behaviour (respect for the game) or a sin bin caution.
Letting the coach over-ride your planned action is risky, as next time round there may be half an hour still to play; if he is allowed to remove the player with no sanction, he could bring him back on 5 minutes later.

Assuming you are in England, there is a need to record the player's full name, so the options would include:
(a) Tell the coach or captain that if the player doesn't give you the full name, he will be seeing a second yellow card;
(b) Let the coach remove him then report the name given to you by the player with a potential misconduct charge to follow (the county FA will ask why you allowed tbe coach to remove the player!)
(c) Issue the second caution for unsporting behaviour (respect for the game) or a sin bin caution.
Letting the coach over-ride your planned action is risky, as next time round there may be half an hour still to play; if he is allowed to remove the player with no sanction, he could bring him back on 5 minutes later.
Thanks for the explanation. I fully take your point re allowing the coach to effectively override what I knew should happen; valuable learning there!

’Jack’ he says and walks away.
I find this to be quite common at youth level, particularly the younger age groups (which would include U15 in my area). When checking a players name for caution or substitution they often give the first name only. Usually nothing malicious, just how they converse. Still would expect full name when asked again though.

I would be very firm here, “coach, happy for you to substitute your player as soon as I have completed the caution” then you can make it easier by asking the coach for the players name & complete the substitution simultaneously. If the coach wants to be silly too, you can calmly state we fulfil LOTG or we aren’t restarting.

I’m not sure you can sin bin here, it’s not dissent, it’s misconduct which is following down the path of yellow, second yellow, red, abandon the match if the coach isn’t going to co-operate.

these are the experiences you need to build your confidence & go through to the next level.

Back