A&H

Turkish Referee Halil Umet Meler punched by club president

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
It doesn't change the unacceptable behaviour, but intriguing why the president was so angry with the referee and the 97th minute equaliser, a legitimate goal with no apparent controversy, clearly onside. The game finished 10 a side, with each side receiving a second yellow red card which looked correct in law.

It doesn't change the unacceptable behaviour, but intriguing why the president was so angry with the referee and the 97th minute equaliser, a legitimate goal with no apparent controversy, clearly onside. The game finished 10 a side, with each side receiving a second yellow red card which looked correct in law.

For their faults, ref support have suggested in the past a ref walkout.
Maybe it's time refs done it worldwide.
If no games, players professionally may stand up and say we need to sort this out.
Tougher punishments needed for managers and players who moan in press conferences.
Pundits need to stop trying to belittle refs.
Sky sports etc need to stop having former refs in the studio analysing and saying they got decisions wrong. All that does is cause even more hysteria online about referees.

Something has to happen for it to stopped or brought back under control.

If no games, players professionally may stand up and say we need to sort this out.
Tougher punishments needed for managers and players who moan in press conferences.
Pundits need to stop trying to belittle refs.
Sky sports etc need to stop having former refs in the studio analysing and saying they got decisions wrong. All that does is cause even more hysteria online about referees.

Something has to happen for it to stopped or brought back under control.
What has to happen here is the person involved is given a prison term and a lifetime ban from football.

I really don't get the connection to managers moaning in press conferences, or pundits belittling referees, this is a grown adult with clearly very serious anger management issues assaulting someone. Make an example of him and it won't happen again.

But it does happen, and again, and again.

I had a grown man beat me up over the colour of my shirt in a 6 a side game. He got a year (released after 3 months).
Has that stopped ref abuse? As a grown man got nicked? No.
This has clearly hit BBC news, but what's the chances it's gonna stay there when charges are made etc.

But it does happen, and again, and again.

I had a grown man beat me up over the colour of my shirt in a 6 a side game. He got a year (released after 3 months).
Has that stopped ref abuse? As a grown man got nicked? No.
This has clearly hit BBC news, but what's the chances it's gonna stay there when charges are made etc.
Sorry to hear that, but someone being locked up for assaulting a referee in a grass roots game isn't going to get a great deal of attention. A top flight referee being assaulted by a club president and leading to all Turkish top flight games being suspended is going to lead to huge publicity.

If the person involved is jailed and banned for life that will send out a huge message to everyone in football, especially if other countries then follow through when it happens in their jurisdiction.

I take no joy in saying I was right, but I said after the Anthony Taylor/Roma incident that it was only a matter of time before an official would be attacked on the field. Shocked, but not surprised.

The response by the club is pathetic, there is clearly no real remorse.
I think a prison sentence, ban from all football activities for 10 years and a 100 point deduction for the club would be fair.

Disgusting but not surprising. There is a hatred towards referees at the moment and I really don’t know why.

Well, we have hit the crisis point. Now time for the Turkish FA to lead. The only acceptable punishment for him is a lifetime football ban.....

At grassroots football, they would get a lifetime ban, so why no different here.

Should the club be charged for the action of an idiot, not sure?

What the police do is separate to this. But he has to be heavily punished by their FA

I would be interested to see what would happen if all the SG 1 & SG2 referees went on strike for 2 weeks....
Would they promote other referees to do the matches? We saw in the NFL when their officials went on strike and they used less experienced officials, it was a disaster.

What would the managers and players say to 2 weeks, no games and having to fit them in at the end of the season... Especially when their actions caused the strike.

Striking never going to happen, we don't have a proper union/membership to ballot and arrange it all and to high a percentage wouldn't want "kids to suffer" or do it for the money for it to have enough impact.

We saw as much when it was last attempted.

This incident, whilst shocking, is not surprising. Only a couple of weeks ago in Italy someone was trying to break into the VAR room, so it was only a matter of time imo to escalate from there.

There needs to be serious consequences for these actions, both police and then the FA. At Minimum jail term and a very long if not indefinite ban from footballing activity.

As a number of people have said, you could see something like this occurring from a mile away. Society in general seems to despise anyone in a form of authority these days.

That said, broadcasters and social media have to take a large portion of the blame. Broadcasters put on these so called 'experts' to give their opinions. Opinions that are generally a load of waffle, which then gets into the brains of the viewers.

I think I read somewhere that the offender is also a politician.......

I'm sure he will probably get a lifetime ban, but I'd also be deducting points from the club. I know people will say it's not their fault, but I feel this is the only way people will begin to learn.

I made the mistake of looking at the Instagram comments on the Sky Sports post about this. Needless to say the vast majority of people were shocked, but there’s still a high proportion who think that the referee deserved it for ‘being a referee’.

Unfortunately I think this will only really impact things in Turkey. Incidents like this will keep happening and the only time the FA might take a bit of notice is if a Premier League referee gets seriously assaulted whilst working.

Has there been an equivalent previous incident? Did that incident bring about meaningful change?

I am really tired of no action from powers that be. This comes into light every few months then quietly dies away without any long term plan or action. We had a referee's jaw broken a few months ago in Sydney. Similar talk but no action. Everything is back to norm now.

Not sure if I had mentioned this here before but nearly 10 years ago I was a first hand witness as an AR. A sent off player punched the referee in the nose. Blood everywhere, police called, reports etc. The young 20 year old ref was encouraged to drop assault charges, and he did, because the player had young children and serving time would punish the children. The player got a 10 year ban but was back playing in 3 years avoiding/appealing the full ban on a technicality.

A long term plan with real action and real support from authorities is needed to address football culture and violence in general, but especially against officials, or this sport will die a painful death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back