A&H

Tracking your distance

WalterPinkman

Hi all,
I am going for promotion next season and wanted to see if there was a way to track the distance I run during a game. I have an iPhone 6Plus so it wouldn't fit in my pocket however some have suggested a tubigrip on the arm to put the phone in. I wondered if anyone has done this, and if it feels comfortable or okay? In addition, are there any stand out apps for this?

The Referee Store
Do you have a smartwatch? Or a GPS fitness watch such as a Garmin or Polar?

I use an iWatch, very handy. Tracks heart rate, distance, calories etc and can also record your goals & cautions on it.

Other alternatives are watches such as a Garmin or Polar as @DB mentions.

Reactions: DB
You can't carry your phone so the only other way is a watch mate. I used to use a Sony Smartwatch for tracking my games.

Invest in a good quality GPS watch.

Failing that something like Nike running / polar beat ought to do you.

You could strap your phone to arm using a running strap or tubi grip but you'll have problems stopping and starting it at beginning of game/ half time. You can buy a polar watch after 10 games match fees - and other brands for less which I think is the optimum solution.

Don't listen to them Ben, they are all young lads with too much money on their hands with them posh Tracker Gizmo thingies..

images.jpg

If you need any help doing a game Minty and I are on FaceTime Call....Give us a Bell!!! ;)

Ben it's quite easy really:

th

And multiply that by the number of laps around the centre circle you complete..........simples

Invest in a good quality GPS watch.

Failing that something like Nike running / polar beat ought to do you.

You could strap your phone to arm using a running strap or tubi grip but you'll have problems stopping and starting it at beginning of game/ half time. You can buy a polar watch after 10 games match fees - and other brands for less which I think is the optimum solution.

Will look into it, thanks mate

Don't listen to them Ben, they are all young lads with too much money on their hands with them posh Tracker Gizmo thingies..

View attachment 1074

If you need any help doing a game Minty and I are on FaceTime Call....Give us a Bell!!! ;)
Haha

Best value for a basic GPS watch is probably a TomTom. If you don't need the heart monitor you can pick them up for about £75. Good battery life, quick to synch with satellites, great large display, and can be used as a 'count up' for total elapsed time.
Picked mine up when my Garmin battery life fell off the cliff, mainly use it for my running.

Hi all,
I am going for promotion next season and wanted to see if there was a way to track the distance I run during a game. I have an iPhone 6Plus so it wouldn't fit in my pocket however some have suggested a tubigrip on the arm to put the phone in. I wondered if anyone has done this, and if it feels comfortable or okay? In addition, are there any stand out apps for this?
Could use a HRM with GPS. I used to wear a Polar RS400 but they are outdated now (no compatibility with Win10) have been outstripped by the v800(?). I did wear my iPhone 6 plus on my arm using one of those armbands that joggers wear. It seemed to work for me, if you want to persevere with that. Make sure you wear underarmour and tuck/tape that under the phone to keep the armband in place. It's not that dissimilar to the holders used for buzzer units.

With my running I bought myself a tomtom gps without heart moniter about £70. I used it yesterday and did 4.65 miles. It also show you where you went on the pitch. That was an eye opener as well. I would use this instead of a phone. I run with a phone on my arm andd I don,t like it, but more importantly we wouldn't let a player do this so we shouldn't. Its funny I was going to start a thread on how far do you think you run during a game. My distance was for U15s 40mins each way.

Been using a GPS watch for a few years now, an average open age match would see me over 8 km. Most I seem to remember covering was just short of 10.

I would say I average 8-9km. Have exceeded 10 on a larger pitch or if games have demanded it.

Always seem to do a bit less with NARs - most likely due to patrol areas.

Garmin Forerunner 10 can pick them up on Ebay for around £40 or £70-80 new. Does the job and you can see your matches on Garmin Connect no heart rate monitor, but then after a few sprints you know its working what more do you need to know?

I use my Apple iWatch with the Nike Running App.

Start it as I am about to call the skippers in, runs in the background as opposed to RefLive. After the game, go back on it, end it and it's all done! 2 full 90 minute games, full sized pitch, young adults, no AR's, 19km in total over the last 2 weekends.

If you have any friends with a golf GPS watch they almost all have an odometer function. (That's what I use.)

I have taken to bringing one of them measurement wheel things onto the pitch with me. Look a bit funny running around with, but it's pretty accurate. :D

Back