A&H

Tracking Distances

Wolfy123

Does anyone else track the distances that they cover in their matches?
I'd be intrigued to hear what others do. Generally mine come up between 7-8.25 km depending on the size of the pitch

The Referee Store
I've got a polar m430, excellent piece of kit and syncs to Strava (or other running apps)

I get towards 4k per half on a good day, generally 3.75k average I bet

Does anyone else track the distances that they cover in their matches?
I'd be intrigued to hear what others do. Generally mine come up between 7-8.25 km depending on the size of the pitch
Disappointed if do less than 8km. Tend to be between 8-9..occasional forray over 9 but always been on higher level games eg u18 efl games etc.
I'm using polar vantage V. Does max speeds etc as well which whilst doesn't say much is fun for setting a challenge. My max speed is 32.9km/h. Weirdly it was in a friendly. Usually max sprint speed between 24 and 27 km/h.

I usually cover 5.2miles (ish) a game, but have done as high as 6.4miles...not sure where this lines up when compared with the pro’s? My average on ref six is a tad skewed because I forgot to end a match before I drove home once, so the distance covered for that game was close to 20 miles!

I use a Garmin Viroactive 3.
I average;
5.37 miles in the middle. Highest being 6.44, lowest 4.8
3.23 miles as an AR

I use Garmin Forerunner 735XT and personally I’m disappointed with anything less than 10k in the middle.

I have found on my Step 3/4 lines I have hit over 7k. Certainly feel that the next day!!

I use Garmin Forerunner 735XT and personally I’m disappointed with anything less than 10k in the middle.

I have found on my Step 3/4 lines I have hit over 7k. Certainly feel that the next day!!
I'd question your accuracy if hitting 7k on the line... The only time I have managed over 5k was on an u18 Premier league line and that was hard work.

I'd question your accuracy if hitting 7k on the line... The only time I have managed over 5k was on an u18 Premier league line and that was hard work.
As a regular runner I know my watch GPS is very accurate.

Both games over 7k were end to end. The first was a top two on Step 3 that was played at 100mph from min one. The second was an FA Trophy 1st Round again 100mph. Saying that, they were both played in the hills 🤣

Grief 7k on the line is maddness! I did a step 6 friendly on the line Saturday and just got over 3.5k all in! Dullest game ever!

Tomorrow nights youth cup game should provide a little more excitement

Grief 7k on the line is maddness! I did a step 6 friendly on the line Saturday and just got over 3.5k all in! Dullest game ever!

Tomorrow nights youth cup game should provide a little more excitement
Certainly is. I did a friendly on Sat and struggled to 5k.

On the line the standard of the game massively dictates the distance you do. When you have two teams with a great defensive line you have your work cut out. Lazy defenders lower down the pyramid they just tend to sit back and the AR needs to do very little to maintain in line with second rear defender.

Certainly is. I did a friendly on Sat and struggled to 5k.

On the line the standard of the game massively dictates the distance you do. When you have two teams with a great defensive line you have your work cut out. Lazy defenders lower down the pyramid they just tend to sit back and the AR needs to do very little to maintain in line with second rear defender.

Oh absolutely, I'm not sure I've ever got close to 6k let alone 7!

Different watches might impact stats though. My old garmin would have me at 5k per half in the middle and 3k per half on the line, my new polar is a good 25-30% less.

Oh absolutely, I'm not sure I've ever got close to 6k let alone 7!

Different watches might impact stats though. My old garmin would have me at 5k per half in the middle and 3k per half on the line, my new polar is a good 25-30% less.

I am fairly confident with my Garmin. The only time it has had a slight wobble is when doing a park run in wooden areas although generally it would always record less than the actual distance. Resulting in the annoying ‘rounding up’ issue that is essential when doing a measured run.

I previously had an Apple Watch and was less confident with that.

I am fairly confident with my Garmin. The only time it has had a slight wobble is when doing a park run in wooden areas although generally it would always record less than the actual distance. Resulting in the annoying ‘rounding up’ issue that is essential when doing a measured run.

I previously had an Apple Watch and was less confident with that.

Yeah I had a period with a Samsung watch and it was awful! I'm never really sure what to believe but I suppose as lomg as you're using the same watch each time, everything is comparable!

Yeah I had a period with a Samsung watch and it was awful! I'm never really sure what to believe but I suppose as lomg as you're using the same watch each time, everything is comparable!
I had a Samsung once and that had me doing 12k in the middle. So far out its untrue.

It is impossible for smart watches to be accurate for refereeing, even more so when on the line. They can't cope with the constant chopping and changing of direction, and even with a one second sampling rate that only the very highest end devices offer it is still going to be way off.

They are designed for running in a straight line and that just isn't what happens in refereeing.

Reactions: one
Back