A&H

Tracking Distances

I use a StatSports GPS tracker, and generally speaking I'm anywhere between 5.5 and 6.5 miles for matches. The last adult men's match I did, I was at 6.26 miles. The last three U19 matches (boys or girls) I did were right around 5.5 miles (so just below 9 KM). I've run as much as 7.8 miles in a 100-minute high school match (80 minutes of play and 20 minutes of overtime).

The StatSports tracker also gives me a heat map like RefSix does, so I look a lot more at my heat map coverage to make sure I'm getting into the deep corner of my quadrant and over to the right edge of the penalty area when running a left diagonal.

The Referee Store
As a regular runner I know my watch GPS is very accurate.

Both games over 7k were end to end. The first was a top two on Step 3 that was played at 100mph from min one. The second was an FA Trophy 1st Round again 100mph. Saying that, they were both played in the hills 🤣
Accurate in a straight line!

I’ve had Garmin 220 and now 435.
I am mental Duracell on the line and I’ve done loads of high level youth games with far more running than mens (in my exp) and in a couple of hundred games with the flag I’ve been over 7km once.

All watches are different - and not designed for ref movement - better for the line but still not reliable.

Could be that yours is the accurate one and others are under. Would be interesting to hear from someone who wears a prozone-type sensor;)

I am mental Duracell on the line and I’ve done loads of high level youth games with far more running than mens (in my exp) and in a couple of hundred games with the flag I’ve been over 7km once.

All watches are different - and not designed for ref movement - better for the line but still not reliable.

Could be that yours is the accurate one and others are under. Would be interesting to hear from someone who wears a prozone-type sensor;)
I read on the Internet that a sample of premier league games and champions league games average distant for assistants on the line was 6.5km.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar... a mean overall,assistants 6.508 km per match.

Is a prozone sensor one you wear between your shoulders? If it is, I wear one for most games.

I usually do 5K to 5.5K for an AR, but I’ve been as high as 5.2 miles (8.3K) as an AR for one game where both teams played a high line in defense and a lot of over the top balls. I’m not 100% sure about that tracking, but the times of the halves are consistent with the time of the match. I also had something like 45 accelerations and 38 decelerations, so that game might have been a very unusual one-off for me.

Last edited:
Back