A&H

Tottenham vs Man City

The elite referees officiating the glamour game of the weekend in the national stadium should not be any seconds late.
Thats why they are up there, because they are the best. Soon as City defender makes that pass, Moss should be off on his sprint.
For that snap shot pic which is posted not to have the referee in it, for me, is diabolical. He simply has to be there, or thereabouts.

The Referee Store
Agree with most here - that's outside the box and clear DOGSO, so FK and red card is the correct decision here. The ferocity of the tackle is enough to justify red for me, but that's moot in the context of this match if the correct call is made in the first place (obviously SFP carried a different length ban to DOGSO though)

This is the point of contact. His 2nd foot is literally bent under his own body. Yes his leg started high, but he lowered it before the foul occurred and the point of contact was on the foot. This is a reckless tackle all day long.

wiZg7go.jpg

As for not a genuine attempt to play the ball, that's just comical.
Where is the ball in that pic?
When Lloris starts his 2 footed lunge the only certainty is he will wipe out Sterling. This is an easy excessive force call I think. The old adage "anywhere else on the field..." Etc

Angles and all that but, the AR is AGAIN minimum 6 yards behind play?? Possibly more?
These guys are salaried to keep fit??

i know you've said you've not seen it @Ciley Myrus but the game situation has to be taken into account here. the ball is given away by Spurs on the half way line down the left wing, i would expect Moss to be towards somewhere around the centre circle anticipating play moving towards the city goal. two quick first time passes later the ball is with sterling, who is incredibly quick, running at pace towards the spurs box.

i dont think many of the select group refs or ARs are capable of keeping up with a player like sterling over that sort of distance on a quick break

There aren’t many Tottenham midfielders in that picture either. Don’t rise to his bait.

Reactions: es1
Afternoon all. A great weekend - but all is not forgiven....

View attachment 1881
More importantly, what in the world is Jesus doing here, simple tap in, yet he drags it back. Would've been a good advantage for Moss.
I think Jesus hesitated because he didn't know whether to take the advantage or appeal for the SFP As for "Where is the ball?" the correct answer is "long gone".

Moss needs a demotion after that performance, i’d Put him on the red lion v royal hart on Hackney marshes.
Wow - why pick on Mr Moss? There's several PGMOL refs who might have been demoted for missing SFP against City. After cutting the grass for Young's assault on Aguero last week, Mr Atkinson got given the FA Cup Final.

And, so far as I recall, not one of the incidents has been subject to retrospective action.

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren’t many Tottenham midfielders in that picture either. Don’t rise to his bait.

Its vital the referee is in a credible position to make a call.. If Moss's starting position is half way, then, a 20 yard sprint will suffice. He is a paid athlete. With access to all the finest resources for fitness in the world. To have that pic displayed of a huge match incident and not have the referee either up with play, or at an angle to make a credible call is shambolic. The midfielders, are probably leaving the next passage of play for the gk and defenders. The referee has no such luxury to fall back on, esp at the other angle to the AR.

Its vital the referee is in a credible position to make a call.. If Moss's starting position is half way, then, a 20 yard sprint will suffice. He is a paid athlete. With access to all the finest resources for fitness in the world. To have that pic displayed of a huge match incident and not have the referee either up with play, or at an angle to make a credible call is shambolic. The midfielders, are probably leaving the next passage of play for the gk and defenders. The referee has no such luxury to fall back on, esp at the other angle to the AR.

He's a "paid athlete" that is more than 20 years older than the players he is chasing, closer to 25 in some cases. It was an unexpected change of possession, and that catches everyone out, the Tottenham defence as well as the referee (and seemingly the assistant).

He has passed the fitness test so fitness is not an issue, but unfortunately simple genetics and ageing means that a 47 year old cannot run as fast as a 21 year old and a 23 year old, the latter of which is renowned for his pace (and arguably wouldn't even be a footballer without it)

Load of nonsense (and a silly comment about a player). Mr Moss missed the other SFP from less than 10 yards, and Atkinson missed the horrendous Young SFP last week from a similar distance. Mr Clattenburg was always up with play and got plenty wrong from his excellent position (against City anyway).

He's a "paid athlete" that is more than 20 years older than the players he is chasing, closer to 25 in some cases. It was an unexpected change of possession, and that catches everyone out, the Tottenham defence as well as the referee (and seemingly the assistant).

He has passed the fitness test so fitness is not an issue, but unfortunately simple genetics and ageing means that a 47 year old cannot run as fast as a 21 year old and a 23 year old, the latter of which is renowned for his pace (and arguably wouldn't even be a footballer without it)
What about a 47yr old Usain Bolt?

FIFA's optimum distance was 19 metres to give a correct decision so it can be argued that a chubbier referee is much much better placed than these upstart athletic referees!!! Just saying!!! :oops:

Moss is a paid athlete. His Salary is £65,000 a year
Sterling is a paid athlete. His Salary is £180,000 a week

So we have a pay ratio of 1 to 144. If Sterling does 20 yards in 3 seconds from a standing start, Moss should take 432 second.

If we are attributing Moss's pay for his fitness and speed, i think he did pretty well there :)

References:
https://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-referee-salaries/
https://www.totalsportek.com/money/manchester-city-player-salaries/
Some simple algebra books.

It's not even a question of keeping up with a player. It's a question of keeping up with the ball. Which is impossible. Nobody, but nobody can keep up with a firmly-struck pass. As youth team coaches, we always used to do a little demonstration for the benefit of our new players each season (and to remind the others, in case they'd forgotten) to show them how much more efficient it is to move the ball by passing it rather than running with it.

The demo consisted of having a player sprint as fast as they could (without the ball) between two cones some distance apart - typically 15 yards or so. When the player was about two yards from the destination cone, one of the coaches would hit a pass to a player standing on the second cone. The ball would always reach the player before the runner did. You didn't have to hit the pass exceptionally hard, just a nice, firm pass would do. Nobody can outrun the ball.

That's what you had here. The ball was going one way, it was then intercepted and played in the opposite direction. Sterling was already 20 yards or more away from the referee and a firm through ball was played to him. There's no way that anyone (even including Usain Bolt) could have kept up with the speed of that pass.

If he, and indeed the stand side AR are so far off the pace, so often, then, its not just one through ball, its fitness
i dont expect him to be on top of the ball or Sterling. But, a sharp sprint from his starting position to either have a> an angle on play or b> be in a credible place to call it would be nice
getting a salary to be fit. I see your Moss and raise you the even older Mike Dean, so throw the age arguement into the bin. Am ages with Moss and not a paid athlete yet I would consider myself based on what i see from him on tv, to be fitter than him.
For the Ar to be, nearly 10 yards off the play is an insult to his flag, remind me of the fitness test for Ars again? Exactly, its those short sharp bursts of pace. Exactly what was required to keep up with play on the first City goal.
If at 47 he is not able to keep up with play regardless of a fitness test then maybe he should find a sport to officiate at where he can keep up with play. And, as we all know, passing the fitness test is not a scientific measurement of defining ones fitness....

Back