A&H

Tottenham v Rochdale

So, ref on the field of play doesn't get the PK feinting law correct - Understandable given the chaos going on around him. VAR (sat in a comfy quiet studio) has less excuse for apparently forgetting the wording. However, Chris Foy had ample time to consider what he'd seen before half/full time analysis. If he knew the wording, he would have referred to it in his 'expert' feedback. Is this a case of three elite referees not knowing the rule? I think it probably is. Just like when Keith Shroud and his merry men awarded Burton Albion a free kick when disallowing Dwight Gale's pen for encroachment. The IFAB book is not exactly lengthy. Is it too much to expect for top refs to know it inside out?

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
'Is it too much to expect for top refs to know it (the book) inside out'? Might be a dull question to seasoned forumites, but i think it's reasonable to be surprised when they clearly don't

YAWN! Yet another thread that's gone down the usual path! This forum used to be a valuable resource for advice, these days it's predominantly a bitchfest of attempting internet "oneupmanship" :wall:

So, let's keep this thread on topic.
I think that no warnings will be need, you just have to go for a run outside ️❄️

YAWN! Yet another thread that's gone down the usual path! This forum used to be a valuable resource for advice, these days it's predominantly a bitchfest of attempting internet "oneupmanship" :wall:

Sorry Moosey, I thought it was a bit of harmless fun.

Between two FIFA refs and the Foy/Grahams of the world saying this is an illegal feint, the most logical outcome is FIFA has told top level referees that this is an illegal feint. I just wish FIFA/IFAB would tell the rest of us that this is an illegal feint by explicitly stating it in the laws of the game.

So, do we listen to them or do we go by the book?

Or do we wait for some official statement? Or should someone from here send an email to those powers that be?

I'm still inclined to think they just didn't know the wording. It would be sensible to just stop any kind of feinting on PKs imo

I'm still inclined to think they just didn't know the wording. It would be sensible to just stop any kind of feinting on PKs imo

If there is any law that a FIFA referee knows inside and out, it will be law 14. There are so many different outcomes and restarts based on what happens during a PK...all of which open up a match to be replayed if not applied properly. No professional referee wants to be the person to repeat the mistake of the 2006 Uzbekistan - Bahrain match.

If there is any law that a FIFA referee knows inside and out, it will be law 14. There are so many different outcomes and restarts based on what happens during a PK...all of which open up a match to be replayed if not applied properly. No professional referee wants to be the person to repeat the mistake of the 2006 Uzbekistan - Bahrain match.

Erm... What happened in that match?

Erm... What happened in that match?

World Cup qualifier playoff. The PK was scored but the referee called it off due to encroachment by the attacking team. He incorrectly restarted the game with an IDFK instead of a retake. Uzbekistan protested and got the match replayed. FIFA brought in Massimo Busacca and Graham Poll to referee the two legs after that.

The easiest way for a referee to mess up and get a match replayed for misapplication of the laws happens during a PK.

Hi
The PK caution did not involve VAR yet the referee only. Also it is not unusual for high ranking refs to get decisions wrong. Has anyone see a full stop in the run up on a penalty kick in recent times? Plenty of stuttering yet no stops so it was an unusual kick. Even the Rochdale keeper questions the stop so he thinks it was not allowed even though he did not move. If there was a straw poll done on whether a player can stop on his run up I would say most would say no

World Cup qualifier playoff. The PK was scored but the referee called it off due to encroachment by the attacking team. He incorrectly restarted the game with an IDFK instead of a retake. Uzbekistan protested and got the match replayed. FIFA brought in Massimo Busacca and Graham Poll to referee the two legs after that.

The easiest way for a referee to mess up and get a match replayed for misapplication of the laws happens during a PK.

I did something very similar to that once (in error), I ordered a re-take for encroachment by attacking team after initial shot was saved and then they scored the retake and compounded my f*&k up by sending off a very angry CM (with gold teeth) who called me a cheating c*&t as we walked back to the centre circle... (He didn't know I was wrong, he was disputing the initial penalty)

Very easy mistake to make!!!

I think i might have managed that one all by myself.

I didn't say 'specifically'. I said explicitly. Do pay attention, Padfoot. The law is absolutely explicit that a pause in the run-up is allowed.

Only after a swift edit....

Back