A&H

Toss of the coin

No, and it isn't what I would call a major part of the game either. It's not something that comes up in every game, for instance and is definitely not something that (pretty much) has its own law dedicated to it. The kick-off is a salient feature of every single game ever played so you might think that with the law having been the way it is for nearly twenty years, people might have twigged to it by now.

Theres many laws more than 20 years old that people don't know!;)

The Referee Store
It's not something that comes up in every game, for instance

That was entirely my point though Peter - it does come up in practically all my Sunday league matches. There's nearly always at least one person with either wrong coloured lycra showing underneath his shorts and/or a bloke with black tape on red socks etc. Always. ;)

That was entirely my point though Peter - it does come up in practically all my Sunday league matches. There's nearly always at least one person with either wrong coloured lycra showing underneath his shorts and/or a bloke with black tape on red socks etc. Always. ;)

Similar to FL/PL where every week, 2 or 3 GKS wear same coloured kit as the referee!

But my point would be that "practically all" of your Sunday league games still does not add up to the same thing as every single game ever played anywhere in the world at any level. For instance, I used to referee a lot of youth games in what was known as a recreational league. I don't remember a single player ever putting tape on their socks (or wearing lycra undershorts, for that matter). It just didn't happen at that age/level.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that every game I ever refereed had a kick-off. :D

Last edited:
But my point would be that "practically all" of your Sunday league games still does not add up to the same thing as every single game ever played anywhere in the world at any level. For instance, I used to referee a lot of youth games in what was known as a recreational league. I don't remember a single player ever putting tape on their socks (or wearing lycra undershorts, for that matter). It just didn't happen at that age/level.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that every game I ever refereed had a kick-off. :D

Alright then I'll let it go.
I just thought you and Holden Man were trying to poo-pooh my observation is all. ;) :D

The ultimate pooh pooh

General Melchett: Is this true, Blackadder? Did Captain Darling pooh-pooh you?

Captain Blackadder: Well, perhaps a little.

General Melchett: Well, then, damn it all! What more evidence do you need? The pooh-poohing alone is a court martial offense!

Captain Blackadder: I can assure you, sir, that the pooh-poohing was purely circumstantial.

General Melchett: Well, I hope so, Blackadder. You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh!

Back