A&H

Toss of the coin

steamydaz1966

Level 7 Referee
One thing I can't get my head round that we were taught on our level 7 course is that the winners of the coin toss choose ends and the losers get kick off. The winners don't get the choice of either. Is this how you guys were taught or do you do it differently?

The Referee Store
that's how I was taught
that's how it is in law
that is what I do

the way I see it ... each team will take kick at either start or half time - but if I pitch has a down hill or sun facing one way then you'd want to be either running uphill first half so come second half when you tire you'll be down hill, or you'll want to be away from the sun first in hope that come 2nd half the sun dims down

make sense?

me too ... amount of times the winning team will say 'we'll have kick ref' ! so frustrating to then correct them and then explain it to them, aren't they suppose to play weekly? how many ref's just let them take kick?

Don't forget the wind... I'll go down hill with the wind in the second half please :D

Sooooo many people get that wrong.

At QPR if we take kick off AND are kicking the "wrong" way ie towards our fans 1st half, you always get someone who will say "Why are we kicking that way"

There seems to be an assumption that home team get to choose ends whatever!:confused:

me too ... amount of times the winning team will say 'we'll have kick ref' ! so frustrating to then correct them and then explain it to them, aren't they suppose to play weekly? how many ref's just let them take kick?
Got so bored with captains saying that, that now I get in first ... "tails it is (look at winning captain), which end would you like?" . If he still asks for kick off after that then he's in my bad books straight away :). NB the 'tails' bit was hypothetical .... :rolleyes:

Guys......p31 of the LOTG!!

Procedure Before a kick-off at the start of the match or extra time
• a coin is tossed and the team that wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the first half of the match.
• the other team takes the kick-off to start the match.
• the team that wins the toss takes the kick-off to start the second half of the match.
• in the second half of the match, the teams change ends and attack the opposite goals.

Incidentally, the team winning the toss hasn't had "the option of choice of ends or the kick-off" since the last major re-write of the laws back in 1997. That's nigh on 20 years now, so I'm not quite sure why so many people are still getting it wrong.

Got so bored with captains saying that, that now I get in first ... "tails it is (look at winning captain), which end would you like?" . If he still asks for kick off after that then he's in my bad books straight away :). NB the 'tails' bit was hypothetical .... :rolleyes:

and there was me thinking you just told the players who had one the toss! :p:eek:

Incidentally, the team winning the toss hasn't had "the option of choice of ends or the kick-off" since the last major re-write of the laws back in 1997. That's nigh on 20 years now, so I'm not quite sure why so many people are still getting it wrong.

Just the nature of people I think Peter. :D

The Law 4 stipulation that player's visible undergarments and sock tape have to be of the same colour as the strip or socks respectively, came in at least what, 5 years ago(?) but I still have players and coaches looking at me like they're guppy fish at feeding time whenever I insist before a match that they adhere to this law. :rolleyes:

The sock law definitely isn't that old.
No, and it isn't what I would call a major part of the game either. It's not something that comes up in every game, for instance and is definitely not something that (pretty much) has its own law dedicated to it. The kick-off is a salient feature of every single game ever played so you might think that with the law having been the way it is for nearly twenty years, people might have twigged to it by now.

Back