The Ref Stop

Open Age today's game

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
At a corner today red player hits a shot from a short pass. Ball hits bar and bounces down but i'm not certain it's gone over the line. I shout "not certain, no goal, play on." No real appeals from anybody close to it.

I'm two yards closer to the goal than the penalty spot. Any closer and i think i would have been too close.

In Sunday footbal where do you refs position yourself? I see some refs standing on the penalty area line but how would you judge ball over the line from there?

Incidentally home team 5-3 up with 15 minutes to go and they start taking thier time. I show i'm holding the clock every time a goal kick and throw in is taken in a pedestrian manner.

Away team scored their 5th goal in the 94th minute to get a draw.

Also got a backhanded compliment from a player "i discussed his attitude with." at the end of the game. "It's nice to have a ref with some personality who you can talk to". Makes a nice change.

The Ref Stop
At a corner today red player hits a shot from a short pass. Ball hits bar and bounces down but i'm not certain it's gone over the line. I shout "not certain, no goal, play on." No real appeals from anybody close to it.

I'm two yards closer to the goal than the penalty spot. Any closer and i think i would have been too close.

In Sunday footbal where do you refs position yourself? I see some refs standing on the penalty area line but how would you judge ball over the line from there?

Incidentally home team 5-3 up with 15 minutes to go and they start taking thier time. I show i'm holding the clock every time a goal kick and throw in is taken in a pedestrian manner.

Also got a backhanded compliment from a player "i discussed his attitude with." at the end of the game. "It's nice to have a ref with some personality who you can talk to". Makes a nice change.
Sounds to me like you got yourself into a decent position.

I've heard three schools of thought on corners.

The one I don't do, but I have heard people (usually less mobile and fair enough to them) defend is standing on the post. The argument being that the most important thing that can happen at a corner is the ball crossing a line, so parking somewhat near the post guarantees a good view on that, and most other things. Obviously leaves you in an awful spot for counter attacks etc, hence why I don't do it.

Second one, patrolling just inside the 18 yard line, away from the penalty spot and the crowd of players, try and to give yourself an angle on the goal line. But it is sort of static. My last observer said I should do this method.

Third is the run into the box. Pretty similar to the second option, but start outside the box then run in and it offers a good chance to change things up last second. Catches players off guard as they will remember where you last were, so you might see them being naughty. Start outside the penalty D, and then run into the box either near or far post (don't get in the way of players doing runs). I typically choose where I am running based on a few things, is it an inswinger or outswinger, where is the build up of players, where have they usually been putting their corners. Also it gives you a good opportunity to run further into the box, if the cross is right on top of the keeper and you are expecting chaos, or to bounce out of the box and sprint after the counter attack.

I mostly position myself just outside the penalty area far side of the goal. This tends to allow for the best range of views of the likely contact area. I will vary this position depending on what is happening in the game and how the attacking team is constructing its corners. I will often adjust my position to get a better view through players but will rarely move too far toward goal with a sense of urgency. I tend to be more concerned about officiating the likely ball drop zone than being in a position to judge whether the ball has fully crossed the goal line. In broken play, I tend to push deeper and wider but am usually fit enough to recover if an attacking play breaks down and the ball is turned over. At corners, I am always mindful of a quick play by the defence either directly from the goal keeper or another player that is difficult to recover from if I am deep in the PA. Ultimately, I think it is probably a question of what works best for you.

It sounds like you have developed a good rapport with the players that is helping you to manage these kind of KMIs. This is excellent and I wouldn’t interpret it as a back handed compliment.

Standing level with the goal line at corners went out of the game decades ago. It's very rare you will have a goal/no goal from a corner. The standard position is near the 18 yard box, opposite corner to the AR, although more and more are moving a little more central now. This position gives you a good view of the drop zone and if there's a break you have 20 yards less to run!

Standing level with the goal line at corners went out of the game decades ago. It's very rare you will have a goal/no goal from a corner. The standard position is near the 18 yard box, opposite corner to the AR, although more and more are moving a little more central now. This position gives you a good view of the drop zone and if there's a break you have 20 yards less to run!
You would be 100% correct if you had neutral AR’s, but I don’t think this is the case here, with at best club Assistants and possibly none at all. Most Referees used to go central, then they moved wider on their path of control about equidistant between the base of the D and the T junction of the penalty area & these days have crept back to the base of the D. However, they should go no further to a central position because not only are they likely to be too close to play, but have no angle on pushing by the goalkeeper/backing in by a forward etc.

You would be 100% correct if you had neutral AR’s, but I don’t think this is the case here, with at best club Assistants and possibly none at all. Most Referees used to go central, then they moved wider on their path of control about equidistant between the base of the D and the T junction of the penalty area & these days have crept back to the base of the D. However, they should go no further to a central position because not only are they likely to be too close to play, but have no angle on pushing by the goalkeeper/backing in by a forward etc.
That depends on a number of factors. Many teams take short corners, so if theres a 2nd player over by the corner taker then I'd be going more central. I'm not a big fan of being near the D but it has its place in certain situations. Also, look where the attacking centre backs are in the box as that's a likely drop zone.

I'd never be going near the goal line, regardless of the AR situation. It's a thing of the past

That depends on a number of factors. Many teams take short corners, so if theres a 2nd player over by the corner taker then I'd be going more central. I'm not a big fan of being near the D but it has its place in certain situations. Also, look where the attacking centre backs are in the box as that's a likely drop zone.

I'd never be going near the goal line, regardless of the AR situation. It's a thing of the past
Your point concerning short corners is definitely valid, though I am assuming when it’s the corner arc off your control path. If it’s the corner arc on the path of your control then I would suggest you need initially to be closer to the penalty area t junction to ensure that any defenders are the required minimum distance. However, as to not getting near the goal line for a corner kick if no neutral AR’s, I would argue the point that there are not many goalline decisions required & also, it’s fine to be able to be 20 yards quicker upfield from a breakaway, but not if the scoring of a goal has been missed. As to the centre backs/forwards being in a central position at the anticipated dropping zone, it’s still best to have an angle and not to be square-on.

Last edited:
Your point concerning short corners is definitely valid, though I am assuming when it’s the corner arc off your control path. If it’s the corner arc on the path of your control then I would suggest you need initially to be closer to the penalty area t junction to ensure that any defenders are the required minimum distance. However, as to not getting near the goal line for a corner kick if no neutral AR’s, I would argue the point that there are not many goalline decisions required & also, it’s fine to be able to be 20 yards quicker upfield from a breakaway, but not if the scoring of a goal has been missed. As to the centre backs/forwards being in a central position at the anticipated dropping zone, it’s still best to have an angle and not to be square-on.

Football has moved on from standing on the goal line at set pieces. It's not expected and I'd advise any referee from doing it. But each to their own.

Football has moved on from standing on the goal line at set pieces. It's not expected and I'd advise any referee from doing it. But each to their own.
I think it really depends on what other support you have. If you are fit enough and your club assistant is a manager stood on the halfway line doing ball out of play and direction then there is some merits to this position. I always found it to give a reasonable view of the penalty area to judge fouls etc. but also meant that can judge ball out of play over the goal line be that goal no/goal or or corners going out of play before coming back in.
If you have a club assistant that is supporting on goal line and touchline then there is less merit in a position on the goal line.
There's no hard and fast rules, the best position is the one from which you can make the correct decisions from. Sometimes, when on own, unorthodox positioning can give you a greater advantage over orthodox team of three positioning.

I think it really depends on what other support you have. If you are fit enough and your club assistant is a manager stood on the halfway line doing ball out of play and direction then there is some merits to this position. I always found it to give a reasonable view of the penalty area to judge fouls etc. but also meant that can judge ball out of play over the goal line be that goal no/goal or or corners going out of play before coming back in.
If you have a club assistant that is supporting on goal line and touchline then there is less merit in a position on the goal line.
There's no hard and fast rules, the best position is the one from which you can make the correct decisions from. Sometimes, when on own, unorthodox positioning can give you a greater advantage over orthodox team of three positioning.
No problem with those that want to do so. I'm fit enough to do it, I just never would. At the level where there's only club AR's, the referee cant be expected to do everything. At some point you've got to run back through a box full of players to get out of there too which I'd avoid. At dog & duck, I'll do my best from the standard position. It's a long time since I've seen anybody do otherwise.

No problem with those that want to do so. I'm fit enough to do it, I just never would. At the level where there's only club AR's, the referee cant be expected to do everything. At some point you've got to run back through a box full of players to get out of there too which I'd avoid. At dog & duck, I'll do my best from the standard position. It's a long time since I've seen anybody do otherwise.
James has made some very good points and although I do not wish to come across as pedantic the original post was talking about being positioned a few yards off the goal line rather than on the goal line. Also, there are ways of being positioned close to the goal line without having to avoid running through a penalty area full of players at a transition in play. However, I think we have covered this now so from my point of view, I will let things rest, especially when you say, each to their own.

James has made some very good points and although I do not wish to come across as pedantic the original post was talking about being positioned a few yards off the goal line rather than on the goal line. Also, there are ways of being positioned close to the goal line without having to avoid running through a penalty area full of players at a transition in play. However, I think we have covered this now so from my point of view, I will let things rest, especially when you say, each to their own.
Apologies if that came across as derogatory, I certainly wasn't intending that. I simply meant that I wouldn't do it that way but others may do it differently. It wasn't a negative comment. I am not arrogant enough to think that because I do it it's the right or best way.

Apologies if that came across as derogatory, I certainly wasn't intending that. I simply meant that I wouldn't do it that way but others may do it differently. It wasn't a negative comment. I am not arrogant enough to think that because I do it it's the right or best way.
No apology required, I knew what you were saying.

Back