A&H

Tips to improve club marks

The Referee Store
A recurring theme seems to be communication.

I also get a few managers moan to me after games saying I don't have to caution players at youth level for dissent and I should show less yellows as it is just their opinion

You are quite right to caution for dissent.
Again, as per the brilliant post above, what can you learn from senior colleagues?

The big one for me this season I am learning is to act on the first act of minor dissent - and giving a full ceremonial warning (now with added world cup fingers!). After that it is much easier to book a player for dissent.

If you don’t warn early, low level dissent is always an issue and hard to deal with - and the players and coaches find reasons to get irked with us.

Jesus what you selling up the Sheff life insurance or class A’s :p
I’m selling fivers for a tenner! Taking a very large chunk off a new car manufacturer next week... I’m hoping to Hoover up!!!
Then I’m off to France for a couple of days with another looking at a new type engine!

I’m selling fivers for a tenner! Taking a very large chunk off a new car manufacturer next week... I’m hoping to Hoover up!!!
Then I’m off to France for a couple of days with another looking at a new type engine!

Ive brought plenty of twenty’s for a tenner in the past ;)

Easy.....

Just forget you have integrity or morals.....ignore the OFFINABUS and dissent.....apologise profusely with every card you have no option in showing.....bottle out of mandatory cautions and especially dismissals, using whatever twisted logic you can think to make yourself feel batter about it......generally just copy most PGMOL officials and you’ll find your marks right up there....cup finals will fall into your lap and before you know it, you’ll be over promoted to a level where you are totally lost, end up hating refereeing and quit shortly afterwards.

Nothing wrong with our promotion system......

Easy.....

Just forget you have integrity or morals.....ignore the OFFINABUS and dissent.....apologise profusely with every card you have no option in showing.....bottle out of mandatory cautions and especially dismissals, using whatever twisted logic you can think to make yourself feel batter about it......generally just copy most PGMOL officials and you’ll find your marks right up there....cup finals will fall into your lap and before you know it, you’ll be over promoted to a level where you are totally lost, end up hating refereeing and quit shortly afterwards.

Nothing wrong with our promotion system......
Fine words from the Forum Overlord

A recurring theme seems to be communication.

I also get a few managers moan to me after games saying I don't have to caution players at youth level for dissent and I should show less yellows as it is just their opinion

Dissent is dissent whether u9 or open age.

What specifically do they say about you communication?

Is it not talking to players during the game?

Also, there are things you can do to improve club marks without having to sell your soul.

Little things like confirming matches promptly, not turning up 5 minutes before kick off, not turning up looking like worzel gummage.

I’m not suggesting you do any of the above, but it can be little things that make the difference.

Stuck in traffic, let he home team know you might be a bit late etc,

I speak here as a former player, club secretary, manager, RefsSec and current referee and observer. Referees often lose marks before they even set foot on the pitch, sometimes before they even arrive at the ground. Remember that club secretaries are volunteers, often with full time jobs that pay the bills, so if you mess them around before the day of the game you are taking a risk. The classic one is not acknowledging match confirmation, which means the home team has no idea whether the referee will be turning up, and in turn means they have to take time to chase you. It shouldn't affect the mark, but it inevitably does. Think of it this way - you order a new bed from Beds'r'Us. It's the most comfortable bed you've ever slept in, but Beds'r'Us were a nightmare to deal with, didn't answer your calls and emails, and delivered it two hours after they said they would. You therefore left them a review of 7 out of 10 because of their lack of professionalism. Liken that to a referee who has a faultless performance, but didn't confirm the game, causing the secretary to chase, and turned up 5 minutes before kick off, again causing the secretary to take valuable time out to chase. That referee's mark goes from 100 to 70 as a result, is that really any difference to the Beds'r'Us example?

The second major way to lose marks is a lack of consistency. If you are an uber strict referee with zero tolerance on dissent and OFFINABUS then that is fine, but you need to carry that tolerance level into every game, and you certainly can't change it during the game. Likewise if you are very lenient, you can't then suddenly change because you are having a bad day and not in a good mood. Footballers want consistency, they won't get that from different referees necessarily as not everyone is the same, but they should get consistent behaviours if they have the same referee two weeks in a row.

Back