A&H

Tips for getting into a new season

Hi everyone, the new season is just kicking off again in Oz and I am feeling a bit out of practice for the first games.

I’ve been training in the off-season and am pretty fit as we just completed pre-season fitness tests. I have also been through my kit and checked the LOTG and infringement codes. Pretty standard stuff I know.

Is there anything you do before or in those first few games back that help you get into the right frame of mind and ready to referee well from the get go?

The Referee Store
I do pre-season friendlies for the club I used to play for. So I know the people and it's going to be an easy ride, no pressure.

Pre-season friendlies definitely help, especially as it gives you a chance to enforce any new law changes. The drop ball and handling ones really benefited from pre-season friendlies IMO.

However, if you're unable to get friendlies (holiday, whatever) then I don't think it's a bad thing to ask for a lower tier game or two to get back into it, depending on your level ofc.

There's fit and there's 'match fit' and that's more than the physical, it's the mental and positioning that needs to be refined.

Thanks everyone. I have just finished three first round junior games and can hardly walk after 6 hours on the pitch. Talk about rude awakening and yes Justylove I agree that there is a difference between normal and match fitness. In good news whistle technique was good right off the bat. Alas, a bit of work to do on positioning and keeping the opportunities open for advantage to accrue!

Back