A&H

Time wasting at the highest levels.

There are a few I can think of
With a stop clock there is no telling how long a game would last. Broadcasting nightmare and that's where a lot of the money comes from.
It also presents travel issues - a game goes on much longer than 90 minutes due to the stopped clock then fans would potentially be stranded. The risk would lead to lower attendances and a lower quality of product = Less money.
Teams would take advantage and use stopped clock to punctuate the game further.
I feel a stop clock could potentially lead to a muc slower game and even American football based 'plays'. (Don't know a lot about it).
Of course there are things that can be done to combat but I wouldn't say there are no disadvantages that's for sure.
Am I being thick, but if we're going to 55 - 60' of actual play, as no doubt someone will say the poor loves can't possibly actually play for 90', then games with a stop/start clock will last as long as they do now.

TV can cope, they don't know how much added time there is going to be now. For Cup games they have 3 schedules or running orders - 1 for 90" , 1 for 90' + ET and 1 for ET plus pens.

The Referee Store
When WILL City ever get a break, eh?
Just saying. If Opta kept the stats for "cautions per goal kick" I think Ederson would be easily top!

(I'd certainly be interested to see a table of teams/GKs for "seconds per goal kick".)

Am I being thick, but if we're going to 55 - 60' of actual play, as no doubt someone will say the poor loves can't possibly actually play for 90', then games with a stop/start clock will last as long as they do now.

TV can cope, they don't know how much added time there is going to be now. For Cup games they have 3 schedules or running orders - 1 for 90" , 1 for 90' + ET and 1 for ET plus pens.
It's not a solution. The solution is for referees to apply the laws.

Reactions: es1

Depends on the willingness of teams to get restarted after each stoppage. If the clock is stopped then we have to reach 60. Which could take any amount of time to do so (within reason). Given that a 90 minute game now has the ball in play for average 53 mins that's at least 7 mins extra. Which doesn't seem a lot. But takeaway any urgency between restarts that will end up being a lot more than 7 minutes.

Obviously you know more about broadcasting schedules so I wont argue with you 😏

It was only one one of my against 😁

I know it's very American and so will obviously be automatically hated, but a "play clock" or similar is the obvious other half of the equation to stop your concerns. Again, run by an independent timekeeper at professional level, start the stoppage clock when the referee indicates that play should start, or when the ball leaves the FOP. Failure to get the ball in play before the stoppage clock expires and the restart is reversed - FK's and throws go the other way, GK's become corners.

NFL gives players 30 seconds for plays and they often need to sub out significant chunks of the on-field 11 for each play. So I'd be starting at a 15 second clock for football and work from there, maybe adjust for certain restarts - a little more for corners, a little less for anything that's on the referee's whistle.

time wasting / getting the ball back in play in futsal is very well controlled, why can't something similar be used in 11 a side?

It's not a solution. The solution is for referees to apply the laws.
Not sure its that simple. 'Fake' injuries? Referees have no choice but to stop play, as per LOTG, as others have said its not just for time consumption that players do that. I have even seen a fake concussion injury at QPR, aided and abetted by the medical staff - we can't blame everything on us poor referees!

Not sure its that simple. 'Fake' injuries? Referees have no choice but to stop play, as per LOTG, as others have said its not just for time consumption that players do that. I have even seen a fake concussion injury at QPR, aided and abetted by the medical staff - we can't blame everything on us poor referees!
Absolutely agree. The other key thing that a play clock doesn't solve is the breaking up of momentum. Running down the clock is one thing, allowing time for your team to get a breather, get back in shape or just quiet the crowd (or ramp them up) are all valuable tactics and are probably made worse by a stop/start clock. You could mitigate some of this with the futsal laws, but the fact the 11-a-side game is played in an open space adds all kinds of logistical issues.

time wasting / getting the ball back in play in futsal is very well controlled, why can't something similar be used in 11 a side?
Futsal is a different game.
I love it but you could easily describe it as sterile.

Part of the drama and emotion that has made football the world’s most popular game is the timekeeping, the antics, and the mistakes… which, by the way, is why VAR double sucks big time!

Futsal is a different game.
I love it but you could easily describe it as sterile.

Part of the drama and emotion that has made football the world’s most popular game is the timekeeping, the antics, and the mistakes… which, by the way, is why VAR double sucks big time!

oh of course, but there's a mechanism built into the laws to get the ball back in play from kick ins / corners / goal kicks / keepers quickly. i think football would benefit from similar

i like a lot of thinks that field hockey does around this...

ability to take the equivalent of throw-ins or free kicks immediately to yourself (from the right position)
if the opposition interferes with the ball after a foul / ball in and out of play decision is made and delay the restart they get a 2 min suspension

i absolutely hate how players use their 'tricks' to delay the game at all levels, we should be implementing laws to rid them from the game

Back