A&H

Time wasting at the highest levels.

My team played Monday, and were 1-0 up going into the final 10 minutes. Away team bench on the verge of self-combustion about us taking throw-ins, when the reality was we weren't taking any more time than any restart normally does and was consistent over the previous 80 minutes, and were taking the same amount of time to restart as the (losing) away side were. They didn't appreciate that dose of logic though, nor the fact that if they didn't shank the ball out of play we wouldn't have to go get it.

(Bugger 'em though, we won 3-0 in the end)

The Referee Store
My team played Monday, and were 1-0 up going into the final 10 minutes. Away team bench on the verge of self-combustion about us taking throw-ins, when the reality was we weren't taking any more time than any restart normally does and was consistent over the previous 80 minutes, and were taking the same amount of time to restart as the (losing) away side were. They didn't appreciate that dose of logic though, nor the fact that if they didn't shank the ball out of play we wouldn't have to go get it.

(Bugger 'em though, we won 3-0 in the end)

I find myself telling players that the restarts in the second half are taking about the same amount of time as the ones in first half, especially regarding throw ins.

It's all the mind, especially if they're losing.

There is an unwritten rule which means that a team is always allowed to take a corner, or complete an attack - even if time is up.

Id also make the argument that additional time is always bang on the minute but it’s impossible for that to be accurate, so referees are either rounding up or rounding down so in theory, that extra few seconds for attack could be accurate for the actual time

I always pay attention to how long the keepers take to take their first couple of goal kicks.
Then you can compare it to the later ones if you think they might waste time.
Quick word to the captain helps as well.

"If he's slowing down goal kicks, I'd tell him not to if I were you".

There is an unwritten rule which means that a team is always allowed to take a corner, or complete an attack - even if time is up. Liverpool benefited massively from that.

It's been mentioned before, but time wasting could be completely eliminated by stopping the watch when the ball is out of play and timing the games to 55 or 60 minutes.
Would obviously have to be controlled by a 3rd party, and could only be done at higher levels, but I don't see any disadvantages?

Game lasts same length of time for both teams

always weird how only Utd could score in Fergie time, why could the othee team not score?

not much else needs said really

Last edited:
Wasn't just Newcastle wasting time, the time it took Henderson to get off the pitch when substituted was utterly ridiculous. The second he turned around and started to wander back to the middle of the pitch, the referee should have been sending him packing with a leaving card!

Stop clock won't work on its on.

Teams will take forever to restart with the ref smiling saying the clock is stopped. These tactics are just as much about killing the other teams momentum / frustrating them and aren't just a means of wasting time.

The solution may already exist in FUTSAL which combines a stop clock with a visual count for restarts. A visual count without a stop clock may help significantly on it's own, certainly worth trialling.

Nothing new and has been discussed many times on this forum, but so much for the supposed clampdown of timewasting as haven't seen much evidence of it so far!

Was at the Southampton Vs Chelsea game last night. (Chelsea were awful and deserved to lose, could have played till midnight against no opposition and still lost), however the timewasting by Southampton was beyond a joke and made a mockery of the narrative that the Premier League were going to get tough on it.

5 minutes were added on at the end of the second half, but with numerous injury/faking stoppages, drinks breaks, substitutions and standard bit for time wasting, even 10 minutes still wouldn't have covered the stoppages!

At one point during the 2nd half, the Southampton keeper embraced his inner Pickford with a theatrical delayed dive on the ball, wait for everyone to clear the area before slowly standing and then wandering around his area. In all he held the ball for 31 seconds before eventually releasing without a hint of a hurry up from referee Michael Oliver!

Then there was the throw ins and goal kicks, all of which took an eternity, again without hint of encouragement to speed things up.

I am in no way blaming Michael Oliver, he is no doubt just acting under the instructions of his paymasters.

I saw the Leeds managers interview this morning, where he also raised the issue of timewasting, with Pickford and his trademark 1minute + to take a goal kick mentioned.

As I said in another recent thread, so much for the so called show, because the public are being seriously short changed in their value for money of the show due to the actions of the players and suits inactions and unwillingness to properly tackle the issue!
Is there a link to information on what refs where going to do? How long can the keeper lie on the evil ball for?

At QPR this season, 5 minutes added time, GK cautioned after 94 mins and 50 seconds (After being spoken to from about the 20th minute)

Absolutely pointless.

Well if the referee deems the goalkeeper to have held the ball for longer then 5 seconds then he would award an idfk to the opposition.

However, we very rarely see this enforced in games and its more likely for you to have a word with the GK before any situation develops.

We're talking here about GKs who catch the ball easily, fall on the ground, and take six seconds to get up, then wander around holding the ball until the referee "has a word".

We're talking here about GKs who catch the ball easily, fall on the ground, and take six seconds to get up, then wander around holding the ball until the referee "has a word".

absolutely hate this

you will know as well as me that almost every game we watch city play has the opposition copiously wasting time, from minute one on many occasions. it cheats fans and players out of game time and it seems refs / the league etc couldn't give two hoots

absolutely hate this

you will know as well as me that almost every game we watch city play has the opposition copiously wasting time, from minute one on many occasions. it cheats fans and players out of game time and it seems refs / the league etc couldn't give two hoots
Then with City winning, Ederson gets a caution for time wasting on his first (maybe only) goal kick.

Back