A&H

Thought I'd seen it all

Brian Hamilton

RefChat Addict
Observer/Tutor
Goalkeeper today had a difficult game. He caught the ball and as he was moving laterally and off balance, he dropped it again, I shouted "DON'T!" but he still picked it up again ... IDFK to the attack.

Later in the game, one of his team mates concede a penalty kick. I've swept the area, spoken to the keeper about staying on his line, spoken to the kicker and as I blow the whistle I note the keeper has stepped off the goal line by at least 30cm. He's not even close to standing on it.

I allow the kick to continue and when the kicker strikes the ball against the crossbar and it drops to a defender, I blow the whistle and order a re-take. Cue pandemonium as protests, threats and abuse all fly in my direction. I settle everyone down and begin the reset. The keeper takes up his position again and again steps off the goal line. This time the ball hasn't been placed by the kicker, so I tell him to wait and instruct the keeper to step back on the goal line. He does so, but steps forward again. I tell him again and he refuses to move. I tell him again and he still refuses to move. I caution.

The kick is taken and a goal is scored. Centre Forward announces loudly that this is "F*cking b*llsh*t" to no one in particular and he is also cautioned. Now all this could have been avoided if the keeper had just stepped on to his line and stayed there.

The Referee Store
Did he sort of drop it straight away? Given that you say he was off balance when he caught it, I wonder if you could say he never really had control of it. Obviously you saw it, I didn't.

Other thought is - 30cm? Are you guys normally that strict on keeper encroachment over there?

He have AT LEAST to stand ON the line when I blow the whistle, after that to be honest, during the attacker running, I would allow one little step forward, but to stand 30cm away from the line before I whistle is just messing around

Heh, well, yes, I won't disagree with that. No issues with the caution either - some people just go out of their way to be daft!!

Later in the game, one of his team mates concede a penalty kick. I've swept the area, spoken to the keeper about staying on his line, spoken to the kicker and as I blow the whistle I note the keeper has stepped off the goal line by at least 30cm. He's not even close to standing on it.

I allow the kick to continue and when the kicker strikes the ball against the crossbar and it drops to a defender, I blow the whistle and order a re-take. Cue pandemonium as protests, threats and abuse all fly in my direction.

Just out of interest, do you think, on reflection, that if you had got the keeper on his line from the start, some if not all of the issues could have been avoided/prevented? Just a question and certainly not a statement as I was not present so have no idea of tempo, match situation etc...

Did he sort of drop it straight away? Given that you say he was off balance when he caught it, I wonder if you could say he never really had control of it. Obviously you saw it, I didn't.

Other thought is - 30cm? Are you guys normally that strict on keeper encroachment over there?
He caught it with both hands, took a couple of steps sideways, dropped it and then bent to pick it up.

He stood on the line then deliberately stepped forward as I blew the whistle. The kicker hadn't started his run-up, so I let the kick proceed to see the outcome. If the goal had been scored, then there wouldn't have been a need for a re-take.

Just out of interest, do you think, on reflection, that if you had got the keeper on his line from the start, some if not all of the issues could have been avoided/prevented? Just a question and certainly not a statement as I was not present so have no idea of tempo, match situation etc...
I did get him on the line to start with. He stood on the line then deliberately stepped forward as I blew the whistle. The kicker hadn't started his run-up, so I let the kick proceed to see the outcome. If the goal had been scored, then there wouldn't have been a need for a re-take.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did get him on the line to start with. He stood on the line then deliberately stepped forward as I blew the whistle. The kicker hadn't started his run-up, so I let the kick proceed to see the outcome. If the goal had been scored, then there wouldn't have been a need for a re-take.

Ah fair enough...wouldn't want any confusion with whistle as the kick-taker struck the ball only for it to go in anyway...I assumed he had started a foot off the line before you'd whistled for the kick to be taken.

One of the best things I was ever told an AR on Supply leagues was 'there's no such thing as a retaken penalty.' I, personally, find them a pain in the arse for my match control. If its blatant, fine, but otherwise? There's no such thing.

This sounds like one of the blatant ones :D

Like all these things, a balance must be struck. General advice (both given and received) is that one or two smallish steps can ride, but if the keeper is rushing out - hitting 2-3 yards before the ball is struck - then it's a retake (if the ball goes in). Nearly gave my first ever as an asst last week but fortunately the striker stuck it in the top corner!

In doing a number of higher level games last fall that had the potential of going to kicks to determine winners, the higher level referees told me to call GKs off the line in the following manner:
  • (S)He takes one step off the line, we're fine.
  • Two steps (or more) and you give me a subtle signal. I nod, you raise the flag.
  • Ignore any steps if the ball ends up in the back of the net.
In this sense, I, as AR, am giving the referee useful information, but allowing him to make the determination as to whether to call it.

Goalkeeper today had a difficult game. He caught the ball and as he was moving laterally and off balance, he dropped it again, I shouted "DON'T!" but he still picked it up again ... IDFK to the attack.

I allow the kick to continue and when the kicker strikes the ball against the crossbar and it drops to a defender, I blow the whistle and order a re-take. Cue pandemonium as protests, threats and abuse all fly in my direction. I settle everyone down and begin the reset. The keeper takes up his position again and again steps off the goal line. This time the ball hasn't been placed by the kicker, so I tell him to wait and instruct the keeper to step back on the goal line. He does so, but steps forward again. I tell him again and he refuses to move. I tell him again and he still refuses to move. I caution.

The kick is taken and a goal is scored. Centre Forward announces loudly that this is "F*cking b*llsh*t" to no one in particular and he is also cautioned. Now all this could have been avoided if the keeper had just stepped on to his line and stayed there.

Did the keeper deliberately drop the ball on ground or did he simply spill it ?

Did the keeper deliberately drop the ball on ground or did he simply spill it ?
Dropped

Like all these things, a balance must be struck. General advice (both given and received) is that one or two smallish steps can ride, but if the keeper is rushing out - hitting 2-3 yards before the ball is struck - then it's a retake (if the ball goes in). Nearly gave my first ever as an asst last week but fortunately the striker stuck it in the top corner!
I'm well aware of the advice as I have given to and heard it from referees more than 400 times. If the kicker had scored, there wouldn't have been a problem.

In doing a number of higher level games last fall that had the potential of going to kicks to determine winners, the higher level referees told me to call GKs off the line in the following manner:
  • (S)He takes one step off the line, we're fine.
  • Two steps (or more) and you give me a subtle signal. I nod, you raise the flag.
  • Ignore any steps if the ball ends up in the back of the net.
In this sense, I, as AR, am giving the referee useful information, but allowing him to make the determination as to whether to call it.
No AR, determined it myself. He stepped off and stood 30cm off the line after the whistle but before the run-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah, mine obviously applies to situations where you have an AR.

Your situation @Brian Hamilton ? That's just some serious disrespect by the GK (and I say that as a GK!)
I know. That's why I had no hesitation in cautioning him. If I could have attributed to him, the shout that I was the worst referee he'd ever seen, he could have had a second.

Did he give any 'reasoning' for his lack of ability to follow this simple instruction?

Seems very petty if he was trying to make a point. And if he was, it was clearly lost on you!

Out of interest, after the blow for the retake you say you had 'abuse and threats' aimed in your direction, did you show any cards?

Did he give any 'reasoning' for his lack of ability to follow this simple instruction?

Seems very petty if he was trying to make a point. And if he was, it was clearly lost on you!

Out of interest, after the blow for the retake you say you had 'abuse and threats' aimed in your direction, did you show any cards?
Too many from too many players to be able to pick any out lol. After the goal was scored just the one player voiced his thoughts and he got a caution

Back