A&H

This is what happens when you are not in line with 2nd last defender

So if you can replay a match over a pen call, am sure you can for an offside ?!!
If you could replay a match over a penalty call, you might have a point. But the fact is, you can't replay a match over any match official's judgement call - unless there are overriding inculpatory circumstances such as in the South Africa vs Senegal game, where the official in question has been proven guilty of match fixing - as has already been pointed out.

There was actually a case in Germany a few years ago where the DFB ordered a match replayed after a 'phantom goal' incident. Subsequent to this incident, FIFA made it clear that this game should never have been replayed and forbade the DFB (or any other association) from ever doing the same again. Several other phantom goal incidents have occurred since, both in Germany and elsewhere (including several in the UK) but none of those games were replayed, even though video evidence clearly showed the official(s) had got the decision completely wrong.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Here is perfect example of being perfectly in line and stil lnot getting the decision right:

upload_2017-11-6_10-41-36.png

For me focus/concentration and experience (ability to compensate for flash effect, use of sound...) rate higher than being in line with the second last defender.

I referee with all sorts of ARs. The ones with 30+ years of experience and carrying 30+Kg of access baggage who are often behind play (not by choice) generally get more decisions right than those in their first or second year, fit as a fiddle but there to go through the motions.
Its just harder to sell the decision when AR is behind play, even if correct.

Ah, but has that incident been frozen at the correct point? It looks as though the ball is just leaving the team mate's foot which according to the latest IFAB circular, is wrong. It should be at the moment the player's foot first touched the ball - and as the circular states:
use of slow motion shows a detectable difference between the first and last contact with the ball when it is ‘passed’.

Ah, but has that incident been frozen at the correct point? It looks as though the ball is just leaving the team mate's foot which according to the latest IFAB circular, is wrong. It should be at the moment the player's foot first touched the ball - and as the circular states:
Same result but not as obvious.
upload_2017-11-6_20-34-17.png

Sorry to be sceptical, but have you done that with the VAR technology?

Anyway, Wenger was sure not even Lacazette's foot was offside for this v. Stoke in August.

offside-rule-stoke-arsenal.jpg

After last year's FA Cup semi-final, you won't find many sympathetic City fans. I'm still miffed about Jeff Blockley getting away with punching out a goalbound shot from under the bar at the Clock End in 1973.

I referee with all sorts of ARs. The ones with 30+ years of experience and carrying 30+Kg of access baggage who are often behind play (not by choice) generally get more decisions right than those in their first or second year, fit as a fiddle but there to go through the motions.
Its just harder to sell the decision when AR is behind play, even if correct.

It's been a pleasure to serve under you, sir... But 30Kg excess baggage - that's four and a half stone - you must have someone else in mind! It's the blood pressure and the atherosclerosis that slow me down, a bit.

Sorry to be sceptical, but have you done that with the VAR technology?
No. I downloaded a clip which is 25fps. Viewed it frame by frame. The frame just before the one posted earlier (the moment the ball is kicked) is 1/25 second earlier, the kicking foot is still behind the non-kicking foot and the attacker is level with the second last defender. Given the grass cutting is an accurate guidelines it is reasonably safe to assume by the time the ball is kicked the attacker is offside no matter which frame you look at. You don't really need VAR tech for this one.
upload_2017-11-7_21-16-29.png

True, but it does make the decision a bit more understandable as on that second freeze frame it's down to a matter of inches. He's certainly not "a yard offside" as one pundit put it (IIRC).
Agreed. Small but clear margin. However my point was not about criticising the AR and how hard the decision was. It was about the fact that he made an error despite being perfectly in line and there are other as important (if not more important) contributing factors.

AR looks perfectly positioned to me. Again, here, isn't the explanation for the missed offside call potentially simpler? Isn't the AR's view obscured by the first ManCity player? I know ideally that wouldn't be a problem but it seems a likely explanation.
The point is that the offside decision that everyone was calling for would have been given against that first player as he's the one that became involved in active play. There was never any question of giving it against the player in the middle.

Back