A&H

Things that players say

A few weeks back a keeper was dwelling on the back with accusations of time wasting and someone said ‘the 6 second rule is a myth’. Watching football I’m inclined to agree :D

The Referee Store
It did so I walked off. Its all YHTBT of course but we all know where our line is.
You are more tolerant than I am—I would have walked away well before you did, and it it went as far as it did, there would have been plastic involved. (Not so much because I have thin skin, but because I think it is important to make boundaries clear and not let next week‘s ref deal with someone who thinks such behavior is OK because I let him do it.) I do realize tough that where lines are depends on local expectations as much as the magic book.)

I had one last week: "you are the most sh*t referee ever"... says the captain of the team 5-0 up, who has just been given a red card for grabbing a player by the throat in an otherwise uneventful game.

Ah yes getting accused of ruining the game by a team that’s 8-4 down and conceded 3 of those in a 5 minute period.

I have found that since I’ve come back after a little break that it’s much harder to resist coming back with some sarcastic quip.

I gave a free kick, told the taker it was on the whistle he took the kick before I’d blown so I stopped play to bring it back, and one of the opposition started crying about the ball not being stationary when they took the kick.

My response of “I’ve already stopped play, what more do you want” seemed to catch him off guard.

Ah yes getting accused of ruining the game by a team that’s 8-4 down and conceded 3 of those in a 5 minute period.

I have found that since I’ve come back after a little break that it’s much harder to resist coming back with some sarcastic quip.

I gave a free kick, told the taker it was on the whistle he took the kick before I’d blown so I stopped play to bring it back, and one of the opposition started crying about the ball not being stationary when they took the kick.

My response of “I’ve already stopped play, what more do you want” seemed to catch him off guard.
I almost cautioned a player (and sin bin) for moaning I wasn't going to give a foul AFTER I had given it. My lino flagged it but I wanted a second or two to see how play developed.

Also last week, the irate captain after his team were denied a last gasp winner by an offside decision: "who was it, but who was it, tell me who it was!"... "It was him, your striker who headed it in..." "Yeah, it was me".

I had a cracker this past Saturday. It was a good game of football and two players in particular were having a good contest. There was nothing too bad but both had a tendency take hold of their opponent when battling for the ball. At a stoppage in play I had a word of warning and one of the genuinely asked whether it was okay to hold/pull the opponent if he only used one hand!

" How many ref?" always gets me. Usually shouted after a team, not a single player note, has committed as many as, I don't know, 2 or 3 whole fouls sometimes! :rolleyes: :p

One I really like is when someone appeals for something that happened at the other end of the pitch.

Normally the goalkeeper screaming for a handball that he can’t possibly have seen that no one else is appealing for.

" How many ref?" always gets me. Usually shouted after a team, not a single player note, has committed as many as, I don't know, 2 or 3 whole fouls sometimes! :rolleyes: :p

Even better when the guy doing the foul is number 14 and he only just come on the park!

One I really like is when someone appeals for something that happened at the other end of the pitch.

Normally the goalkeeper screaming for a handball that he can’t possibly have seen that no one else is appealing for.
The most forward player appealing for offside against the opposing attackers, always lacks a little credibility too! :rolleyes:

Remember that I’m down here in rural somerset. A beautiful, sunny September morning (on a less than beautiful municipal pitch)

Speedy winger pushes the ball past lumbering left back, and turns on the gas. The inevitable happens, the full back scythes down the attacker.

Cue cry from someone, somewhere on the park:

”Blummin‘ ‘eck! That was so late he had time to bring the harvest in”

Love it!

There must be a book all players read so they understand the script and must join in.

In the back
Foul throw
Who played them on
That’s the first foul
It’s not about you ref
(After 4 minutes of a sin bin) can he come back on
But I got the ball
He’s all over him

There are a lot of referees playing round here. This from a great guy who has whistled in the top flight. He gets very involved when playing in the 5th tier, and dives a bit at centre back: “Mark, if you don’t give me the foul, you’ve gotta book me!”

Brilliant.
Not my real name;)

There must be a book all players read so they understand the script and must join in.

In the back
Foul throw
Who played them on
That’s the first foul
It’s not about you ref
(After 4 minutes of a sin bin) can he come back on
But I got the ball
He’s all over him
Add "you're just going with the shouts". Usually followed or preceded by "nobody even claimed for it" for another foul.

2 specifics that I've had:

First one I've referenced on here before. Manager has a reputation for being a bit of a handful. I turn down a penalty shout for his team so he runs onto the pitch and calls me "a f***ing joke". I take his name to which he gives me a load of additional abuse and as I show him the red card I intend to say "Off you go" however between brain and mouth comes the short circuit and what comes out is "Cheerio" 🤦🏻‍♂️ Cue him and 5 of his team going mental asking me "where's my respect" conveniently forgetting that the reason he's been binned is because he was the one who ran on to the pitch to abuse me!

Second one is where there is a challenge and the attacking team wants a penalty. When you give your decision the player says "it can't be a corner, it's either a penalty or a goalkick".

I had this exact situation, awarded a corner to be confronted by that reply from the attacker who had been a PITA for the whole game. When he said that, I quickly changed my decision to a goal kick and proceeded to loudly and pointedly thank him for his honesty and sportsmanship in admitting that the last touch was from him.

One of my absolute pet peeves that comes more from the side line but also players..... "How is he?" which some teams just should on every quick attack hoping for an offside call.
I much rather someone just shout "offside" if they think its offside. Instead "how is he?" tends to seed doubt without actually saying they think a player is offside. I hate it!

One of my absolute pet peeves that comes more from the side line but also players..... "How is he?" which some teams just should on every quick attack hoping for an offside call.
I much rather someone just shout "offside" if they think its offside. Instead "how is he?" tends to seed doubt without actually saying they think a player is offside. I hate it!
The other one that I've been hearing quite a bit is players shouting "Are you sure?" when a decision goes against them. Gets right up my nose!

Back