A&H

The use of red and yellow cards in pre season games.

I had a pre-season game before last season and had 4 red cards! Hey, I never punched anyone! I was going on holiday the day after so had to get the reports in before packing.

Also had an under 18 academy friendly game before this season and issued and reported a red card. The Premier League club weren't impressed but hey, I never headbutted anyone!

The Referee Store
Um...

Did I not say that I wasn't informed of the procedure of dealing with friendly matches.

In which case, simply asking my local referee's association for the correct procedure seems to me to be a perfectly sensible thing to do, particularly as I didn't really register that it was meant to be done that way until I saw @RustyRef 's comment.

If that makes me look like an idiot, then I'm happy to raise my hands and say that I am a complete idiot for not knowing and wanting to know the correct procedure.

It isn't a question of getting a different answer, it is simply ensuring I know exactly what to do the next time round. But hey, whatever. I'll just keep my mouth shut next time.

Ok...you seem to be missing the obvious.......

You shouldn’t need to be told ‘the procedure’ for something that is blatantly common sense......and indeed a very basic principle of being a competent referee.....if you show a card, you submit it.
If any referee tells you different, immediately label them as an ‘incompetent waster’, take anything else they tell you with a small mountain of salt, and ideally tell your RDO aboust their shockingly poor advice. If nothing else he/she should re-educate them.

Ok...you seem to be missing the obvious.......

You shouldn’t need to be told ‘the procedure’ for something that is blatantly common sense......and indeed a very basic principle of being a competent referee.....if you show a card, you submit it.
If any referee tells you different, immediately label them as an ‘incompetent waster’, take anything else they tell you with a small mountain of salt, and ideally tell your RDO aboust their shockingly poor advice. If nothing else he/she should re-educate them.

You've made your point Padfoot, and whilst I do agree with you there is no need to consistently drum it home or suggest that RobOda not knowing this makes him a less than competent referee.

RobOda, there is no need to talk to anyone at your RA or CFA. If you take a game and show cards they have to be reported, there is no other option. Failing to do so could see you charged and suspended.

Padfoot was spot on but he isn’t one for sugarcoating his response for the uninitiated.

I don't mind that, assuming I was even disagreeing with what he has to say in the first place (that you report the cards) - The pertinent point arising was something I had already accepted, but Padfoot seems to be taking issue with me raising it elsewhere, for whatever reason, on the assumption that I'm dismissing the answer.

RobOda, there is no need to talk to anyone at your RA or CFA. If you take a game and show cards they have to be reported, there is no other option. Failing to do so could see you charged and suspended.

Yes. I just assumed erroneously that friendlies were treated differently than league games just from my experience of them back in the day. Suffice to say, at least I'll be aware for my first pre-season here, assuming I get any games! :confused::)

Back