A&H

The use of red and yellow cards in pre season games.

I once was down to referee a bounce game, which got leaked to the public 2 days before it, the away team are/were a huge name, they had just changed manager and were fielding 3/4 new marquee signings, .......ended up with a 5000 crowd......
£40 quid was no longer acceptable !!

The Referee Store
We as teams and referees organise our own pre season games they are nothing to do with the league, it’s just two managers making a call to one & other, then finding a ref.

I’ll be refereeing my old side throughout the summer infact now I’ve decided to hang my boots up for good I’ll have two former sides to ref plus I’ve told every manager this season that I’ve spoken to at games that I’m available over the summer for pre season games, so hopefuly I should be busy & by god I need the practice.
If that’s the case then make sure any games you do are sanctioned by your CFA.

You can get banned for officiating unsanctioned football, and if the worst happens and you have to submit red cards etc then there’s nothing the CFA can do so the perpetrators will get off Scott free

If that’s the case then make sure any games you do are sanctioned by your CFA.

You can get banned for officiating unsanctioned football, and if the worst happens and you have to submit red cards etc then there’s nothing the CFA can do so the perpetrators will get off Scott free
Really? How many teams playing in Friendlies get the games sanctioned by the CFA? Surely, I can't face disciplinary action by choosing to help out with such games?

If the team is registered with a league they are most likely registered with the CFA if so then you can search on the WGS under other competition and type “friendly” and then search for the teams in question.

Interesting I’ll seek further advice from more senior referees in the area.

If the team is registered with a league they are most likely registered with the CFA if so then you can search on the WGS under other competition and type “friendly” and then search for the teams in question.
Although that is how you would submit the cautions, it doesn't mean the match in question has been sanctioned.

I will say to the captains and managers before friendlies that I will try to manage things, but I can't manage the unmanageable. Things like VC, obvious cases of SFP, OFFINABUS, etc, will still see cards come out friendly or not.

For friendlies in England at step 5 and above, so supply league, the FA mandate the level of referee required. As an example, a supply league team against a contrib team could be refereed by a L4, but if it was supply league against National League North or South it would have to be at least a L3. There is a matrix for this on page 5 of the link below.

http://sportdocbox.com/World_Soccer...-non-competition-matches-policy-document.html

They also mandate the fees for these games, and they are now fee only with no expenses. These can be seen on page 4 of the same document.

I will say to the captains and managers before friendlies that I will try to manage things, but I can't manage the unmanageable. Things like VC, obvious cases of SFP, OFFINABUS, etc, will still see cards come out friendly or not.

For friendlies in England at step 5 and above, so supply league, the FA mandate the level of referee required. As an example, a supply league team against a contrib team could be refereed by a L4, but if it was supply league against National League North or South it would have to be at least a L3. There is a matrix for this on page 5 of the link below.

http://sportdocbox.com/World_Soccer...-non-competition-matches-policy-document.html

They also mandate the fees for these games, and they are now fee only with no expenses. These can be seen on page 4 of the same document.

But for grass roots level 5-7, are the games to be logged on wgs? Are cards to be put through?

Really? How many teams playing in Friendlies get the games sanctioned by the CFA? Surely, I can't face disciplinary action by choosing to help out with such games?

Yes, you can.

I rarely do friendlies, as in my experience at grass roots they’re more trouble than they’re worth, but when I do them I only accept games that have been arranged through the league, I.e. it is the League referee secretary assigns me to the game.

I’m not sure on the ins and outs of it, but my local Sunday league tell us to only accept friendlies from the league, and not to do games when approached directly by one of the teams.

Watch about match fee in pre season would you charge the same as if your doing a normal league game?
I just offer my services for free that way the teams are more inclined to use me rather than a parent volunteer and it gives me good practice however i take 15 pounds a normal match fee for friendlies during the season of which i did 2 this season.

Why would you not submit a card?

I always do in the league etc.

But for friendlies at my old area they never had team sheets or took any names. And no one went through the procedure of handling friendly matches with me, or at least, it has never come up. So I kind of just went with it (bear in mind I was young then!)

Now I'm in a new area, I think I'll ask at my society AGM on how the handle it, because in hindsight it doesn't seem right.

I always do in the league etc.

But for friendlies at my old area they never had team sheets or took any names. And no one went through the procedure of handling friendly matches with me, or at least, it has never come up. So I kind of just went with it (bear in mind I was young then!)

Now I'm in a new area, I think I'll ask at my society AGM on how the handle it, because in hindsight it doesn't seem right.

How about you just submit any cards you show in friendlies, as you are required to do, and not bother listening to the excuses that other, weaker, referees might make if you raise the question?

I seriously wouldn’t be asking that question at a RA meeting.....

Well, they're there for advice and such, so may as well use them.

I'll just ask the referee's officer, since he's usually there.

Ok, so you ask the question and they reply “what have you done previously?”......

How do you answer that without ending up looking slightly idiotic?

The answer has been given on here.....you submit them as per normal.....but feel free to ignore us and carry on asking others....eventually you might get an answer you like?

How do you answer that without ending up looking slightly idiotic?

The answer has been given on here.....you submit them as per normal.....but feel free to ignore us and carry on asking others....eventually you might get an answer you like?

Um...

Did I not say that I wasn't informed of the procedure of dealing with friendly matches.

In which case, simply asking my local referee's association for the correct procedure seems to me to be a perfectly sensible thing to do, particularly as I didn't really register that it was meant to be done that way until I saw @RustyRef 's comment.

If that makes me look like an idiot, then I'm happy to raise my hands and say that I am a complete idiot for not knowing and wanting to know the correct procedure.

It isn't a question of getting a different answer, it is simply ensuring I know exactly what to do the next time round. But hey, whatever. I'll just keep my mouth shut next time.

Although that is how you would submit the cautions, it doesn't mean the match in question has been sanctioned.
I think if the clubs are official and are in fact on WGS they are classed as sanctioned. I'm under the impression that it's the charity games and work type friendlies that need to be approved by CFA.

Back