A&H

The Referee - Stepping Back

If you follow me on twitter you will have seen that I have made a decision recently to step back to being a level 5 Referee. This wasn't an easy decision however one I felt that I had to do.
With my family changes during last season, I had agreed with The FA and my supply league that I would close Feb & March to allow home life to settle down. My plan then was to return during April to finish the season. One of the factors in this was I didn't know if I would be able to carry on as a level 4 referee this season, however really hoped that I would.

I came back for one game but had barely trained during my time off and so was well of the pace fitness wise. Plus being honest family life still hadnt settled down and so I spoke with the FA and my Supply league and ended my season there. My plan then was to take my test in July and focus on getting back fit.
Unfortunately though things don't always go to plan. While I was getting out training it was not consistent and proving difficult. I would set the plan for the week of when I wanted to get out and train and then my plans would be changed due to a work issue. Where as before I could adjust and go for a run at another time I found with the family commitments this wasn't possible.
Over the last few years work commitments have become more which when its just two of you, its easy to cope with. When there is a 3rd person to consider and the impact that person has on the 2nd person. This then brings extra pressure at home.
When the fitness test came I wasn't feeling 100% confident however felt that If I could get into the pack I would be able to push myself through and would be fine. Unfortunately there was no pack and everyone got separated. I had a complete mental crisis at lap 3 when the whippit of our group started to lap people. I have no issue with this and I have no problems with the group splitting up. At the end of the day we have to pass the test as an individual. Unfortunately at lap 4 I started to go backwards and mentally checked out and stopped.

Why I stopped and didn't continue for the last 2 laps. I don't know and never will. The next test would be the 7th August.
That evening I did a lot of thinking. Could I realistically be fit by the 7th August for the retest with the work commitments I have. Could I be sure that I could fully commit this season. Was it really that important. Having walked in feeling so low, I was happy again a few seconds later when I got a hug of my little boy. Really was it that important.
So the next day I spoke with some people and decided I had to make a decision and live by it. I decided to step down to Level 5.
I took this decision though with some things in mind.

• This is temporary. I am looking to be a 5 again for no more than 2 to 3 seasons. I will then be only 34 and look to take my 4 back.
  • I am intending to be active and my RDO has put me in the Development Group. This means I will be active, and when I want to step back to 4 will be in a best position to do so.
  • This will allow me to focus on some of the Tutor elements which I would not be able to do while a 4 at the minute
  • I wanted to do this while I had a good relationship with the supply league and the FA and not get booted for lack of commitment. Having spoken to my supply league officer he supports this and will help me where he can.
  • I intend to be the best I can be and not just collect a fee. I havent had a county final for years and intend to get one this year!
I am fully comfortable with my decision. Its going to be a bit of a change, I haven't refereed with out "proper" assistants for 5 years! However I also thing a change may be good. I think I may even come out of this break as a better referee.

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back