A&H

The Referee - Assist or hinder?

If your lucky as a Referee to go out on the field supported by two neutral assistant referee's, you have to have complete confidence in them. You may never have worked together before, but after 10 minutes you need to have faith in them. A good assistant can make a referee look great, a bad one can make him look incompetent. A brave assistant can help a referee when he maybe is about to make a mistake.
This week in the Europa League match there was an incident where Stuart Atwell gave a penalty. However his assistant assistant referee (the guy by the goal) stepped in and appeared to inform him that it wasn't a penalty. This meant he restarted with a drop ball. A situation like that you have to be confident that the assistant is correct, but you must also be sure that your wrong. Unfortunately I cant embed a video to this so follow the link. I expect in a situation like this the conversation is already going on over the headset, and the Ref just goes across for visual confirmation to the players.

If you look at the incident yesterday in the Man United vs Sunderland game. The assistant referee signals for a penalty against Vidic for handball. After being consulted by the Referee he changes his mind. Its brave to come in the first time, its even braver to change your mind. However I suspect that the assessor will not have been to impressed.

Manchester United v Sunderland by xixiprovi
Manchester United v Sunderland by xixiprovi

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back