A&H

The Referee - Admin Admin Admin

All the way through your career as Referee, people will tell you to get your admin right. Let me give you a great example as to why this.
So last night I was due to be on a supply league line. I had accepted the game original. However due to a work commitment that would have made it tight for making the game, i emailed the appointment's officer on Friday coming of the game. I recived a response saying no problem. I also emailed the club informing them.
Last night at 9PM i got a missed call alert on my mobile. Signal around my home being awful. It was a missed call from the match referee from 7.15 asking me where I was.
He was clearly out for the 2nd half at this stage but I called him back and left a voice mail on his phone. I then tried to call our assistant appointments officer, who didn't answer. So I then called the Referee's appointment officer who was at the game.
He confirmed that only one assistant ahd turned up and that the Assistant appointment officer was non the wiser to where I was!
I pointed out rather quickly that I would forward him the email from him acknowledging my removal from the fixture and also the email I sent to the home club. I also pointed out that the Referee calling me 15 minutes before kick off to see where I was when I should have been there'd 45 minutes before was a bit late. I also pointed out that if he had called me prior to the game to arrange travel and confirm I was still on it, this could have been avoided.
Luckily through experince through football and work I tend to keep every bit of email to cover myself. So could clear my name quite quickly.
I cringe in meetings when people say it but it has to be said. Make sure you get your admin right otherwise it will bite you!

The Referee Store
Back