A&H

The match couldv'e gone better

lucy707

Hi everyone,

I reffed an U11s game a couple of weeks ago and it didn't go exactly as planned. I had no assisted referees so I had to call the offside myself and who received the throw in. Long story short, the away team apparently received the ball in an offside position but at the time i let play go on as i didnt think it was offside. However, they ended up scoring from it about 10 seconds later and once they scored the home teams coach started glearing and repeatedly telling me it was offside. I then blew mh whistle and called offside (something i regret) and as a result the away team started shouting at me.

Then another incident was when the home team had the ball and one of their players went down in the box. I wasn't sure what had happened at first but the home team instantly called for a penalty so I gave it. However, the away team started complaining about how the ball wasn't inside the box whilst the home team was. Anyway, I gave it as a penalty and unfortunately the home team scored which resulted in me receiving even more abuse from the away team.

A final incident that happened was that the apparently went out on the other side of the pitch. At the time only a few of the home team players were saying how the ball went out but I chose to carry on play. Anyway, the ball ended up in the home goalkeepers hands but before he took the kick the home teams manager shouted to me telling me how he had told me that the ball went out and basically he got the goalkeeper to throw him the ball so the home team could have a throw in even though they had possession. At the time i just stood there not knowing what to do so I just left it but I kind of feel that I should've confronted the manager as it was the second time he had overruled me in the game.

Anyway, one big question that I have is do I have to be constantly near the ball so I know when it goes out but it's hard if I'm on the other side of the pitch.

Thanks

The Referee Store
What you have to do is decide what you think the outcome is, and stick to it.

You’ll get some things right, and some things wrong, but you’ll probably get more right than wrong. Stick by your decision, it may be hard in the short term, but in the long time it’ll make your life easier and you’ll improve as a referee

(And well done for asking for advice, that is the best way to improve)

Have you had any mentoring Lucy? Might be worth speaking with your Referee Development Officer for advice because this sounds like an unpleasant experience

Have you had any mentoring Lucy? Might be worth speaking with your Referee Development Officer for advice because this sounds like an unpleasant experience
There was a mentor there but he only saw like a third of the match as there was more than one match going on

Don't get hoodwinked Lucy into being railroaded into changing decisions as easy as that. Stick to your guns and let them have their moan as you walk back to the centre circle. If it gets too loud or nasty you have warnings and cards to control that. Once they get you to change something they know the tactic can work. You and you alone are in charge, its never them....Well done on the self reflection though.... Keep posting...

Don't get hoodwinked Lucy into being railroaded into changing decisions as easy as that. Stick to your guns and let them have their moan as you walk back to the centre circle. If it gets too loud or nasty you have warnings and cards to control that. Once they get you to change something they know the tactic can work. You and you alone are in charge, its never them....Well done on the self reflection though.... Keep posting...
Thanks👍🏼

What you have to do is decide what you think the outcome is, and stick to it.

You’ll get some things right, and some things wrong, but you’ll probably get more right than wrong. Stick by your decision, it may be hard in the short term, but in the long time it’ll make your life easier and you’ll improve as a referee

(And well done for asking for advice, that is the best way to improve)
Thankyou

Do you have flags Lucy as im guessing by the sounds of it you wont have assistants for junior games, give the flags out pre match and ask the two managers to give the throw inns (it takes a job away from you)

95% of them are honest, if they are unsure of what way it goes they might just say "i dont know" if im not sure myself il always say im not sure and give the benefit to the defending team.

hi lucy welcome you are in the proper place to ask for advice so here goes
it sound like you made a few mistakes, it happens, you were going with the shout,you either didnt see an incident
or allowed yourself to be persueded to change your decision, dont, give a decision and stick with it
dont let managers influence you, as sheffields finest says you have a loud whistle and nice shiny cards dont be scared to use them remember we are here to help,
it does get easier, honest

Hi Lucy
If you think it is a penalty give a penalty. You can be sure there will be 9/11 players and one set of coaches and parents who disagree! As for offsides if you think it is offside just blow your whistle raise your arm ignore the coaches. It sounds like the coaches were trying to get in your head. Unless they right in line they have no idea at all. As most people have said if you make a decision stick with it. Even if it is wrong it is your opinion which makes it right. On Sunday I gave a penalty which I thought was nailed on, the defenders said the attacker fell over and the coach who was 60 yards away on the opposite side of play thought it was never a penalty. Another good tip is ask to be put on the line for some games as it helps development and you learn loads off a senior ref how he deals with players and coaches, and if you don't have a match go and watch a senior youth or OA game to just watch a ref. Dealing with dissent at U11s if players are getting lippy ask them to be substituted if a coach refuses get your yellow card out. If coaches are overstepping the mark with comments ask them loudly and politely to be quiet or you will ask the main offender to leave the technical area and will have to go the ca rpark. A bit scary to do if you are a young lone ref but sometimes just the reminder of your powers is enough to make coaches think about their actions. Speak to your RDO and ask for a mentor for a whole game. On the plus side you will learn more from this game than an easy one with no hassle. Don't let numptys get you down, next week will be better and let us know how next week goes.

Important to remember that being a referee is an incredibly difficult job. So difficult that the best in the world get decisions wrong every week. Sometimes they watch the incident on VAR and still get it wrong! So as an amateur, we will get alot wrong and that's absolutely fine. Don't worry about it, just do your best and keep learning.

Just stick with your decision once you've made it and give firm hand signals and strong whistle blasts, even if you're not sure.

Do you have flags Lucy as im guessing by the sounds of it you wont have assistants for junior games, give the flags out pre match and ask the two managers to give the throw inns (it takes a job away from you)

95% of them are honest, if they are unsure of what way it goes they might just say "i dont know" if im not sure myself il always say im not sure and give the benefit to the defending team.
It's at academy level so parents aren't allowed to run the line

hi lucy welcome you are in the proper place to ask for advice so here goes
it sound like you made a few mistakes, it happens, you were going with the shout,you either didnt see an incident
or allowed yourself to be persueded to change your decision, dont, give a decision and stick with it
dont let managers influence you, as sheffields finest says you have a loud whistle and nice shiny cards dont be scared to use them remember we are here to help,
it does get easier, honest
Thanks👍🏼

Hi Lucy
If you think it is a penalty give a penalty. You can be sure there will be 9/11 players and one set of coaches and parents who disagree! As for offsides if you think it is offside just blow your whistle raise your arm ignore the coaches. It sounds like the coaches were trying to get in your head. Unless they right in line they have no idea at all. As most people have said if you make a decision stick with it. Even if it is wrong it is your opinion which makes it right. On Sunday I gave a penalty which I thought was nailed on, the defenders said the attacker fell over and the coach who was 60 yards away on the opposite side of play thought it was never a penalty. Another good tip is ask to be put on the line for some games as it helps development and you learn loads off a senior ref how he deals with players and coaches, and if you don't have a match go and watch a senior youth or OA game to just watch a ref. Dealing with dissent at U11s if players are getting lippy ask them to be substituted if a coach refuses get your yellow card out. If coaches are overstepping the mark with comments ask them loudly and politely to be quiet or you will ask the main offender to leave the technical area and will have to go the ca rpark. A bit scary to do if you are a young lone ref but sometimes just the reminder of your powers is enough to make coaches think about their actions. Speak to your RDO and ask for a mentor for a whole game. On the plus side you will learn more from this game than an easy one with no hassle. Don't let numptys get you down, next week will be better and let us know how next week goes.
Thanks👍🏼

Important to remember that being a referee is an incredibly difficult job. So difficult that the best in the world get decisions wrong every week. Sometimes they watch the incident on VAR and still get it wrong! So as an amateur, we will get alot wrong and that's absolutely fine. Don't worry about it, just do your best and keep learning.

Just stick with your decision once you've made it and give firm hand signals and strong whistle blasts, even if you're not sure.
Okay will do👍🏼

Put the game behind you and move on to the next one. I found when I started refereeing that I was very reactive to every decision. Preemptive approach is, for me, the best way to referee a game. Try and get a system whereby you think about what could be the outcome of a particular play. Personally, I find talking in my head works. For instance, when a ball is going near a touch line, I say to myself repeatedly “in or out” or when there is an attacker running the ball and defender in chase, I usually say “attack free” until they cross into the penalty area, at which point I change this to “penalty”. This helps in both blocking out any shouts from the sideline but also making a decision with confidence.

As regards to positioning, you do not need to be on top of the ball at all times but you do need to be in position to make the correct call. This is hard and will develop with experience as you build it up. Don’t be afraid to sprint to get into a position to make a call but as I said, just build up your game time and you will see what works best for you.

Hi everyone,

I reffed an U11s game a couple of weeks ago and it didn't go exactly as planned. I had no assisted referees so I had to call the offside myself and who received the throw in. Long story short, the away team apparently received the ball in an offside position but at the time i let play go on as i didnt think it was offside. However, they ended up scoring from it about 10 seconds later and once they scored the home teams coach started glearing and repeatedly telling me it was offside. I then blew mh whistle and called offside (something i regret) and as a result the away team started shouting at me.

Then another incident was when the home team had the ball and one of their players went down in the box. I wasn't sure what had happened at first but the home team instantly called for a penalty so I gave it. However, the away team started complaining about how the ball wasn't inside the box whilst the home team was. Anyway, I gave it as a penalty and unfortunately the home team scored which resulted in me receiving even more abuse from the away team.

A final incident that happened was that the apparently went out on the other side of the pitch. At the time only a few of the home team players were saying how the ball went out but I chose to carry on play. Anyway, the ball ended up in the home goalkeepers hands but before he took the kick the home teams manager shouted to me telling me how he had told me that the ball went out and basically he got the goalkeeper to throw him the ball so the home team could have a throw in even though they had possession. At the time i just stood there not knowing what to do so I just left it but I kind of feel that I should've confronted the manager as it was the second time he had overruled me in the game.

Anyway, one big question that I have is do I have to be constantly near the ball so I know when it goes out but it's hard if I'm on the other side of the pitch.

Thanks
As others have said, once you make a decision, stick with it. What I would say is don't rush it. Have a second or two to think, then decide. Be clear in what you have decided, if players are appealing offside give a clear shout of "No, Keep going". Try not to let anyone influence your decision, nor coerce you into changing what you've given. Once it's, it's gone, onto the next one. There's too many decisions to be made to get caught up in one.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but for your peace of mind, in respect of penalty/no penalty decision, the location of the ball is irrelevant. It is the location of the offence that determines the outcome, so if you believe a foul happened inside the box and the ball outside, you were correct to award penalty. I am assuming you've listed the issues in the game in order of timing so perhaps, having seen you overturn one decision the thought they could achieve a similar result. Well done for 1) getting the correct decision and 2) sticking with it this time.

Final incident, a strange one. Did the manager turn possession over to the opposition for the throw in, or did it benefit his team. I know parents aren't allowed to run the line, but in academy football, at least when I did it, I made the coaches responsible for ball in/out of play. Our CARs don't do offside around these parts so you'd still have to do offside but at least you wouldnt have to worry about in/out. In my view, if parents aren't going to be allowed to run the line, then the teams should help out, whether they use a sub or a coach there should be some assistance to the referee. Okay, so you dont have any1 running the line. Simple, you can only give what you see, and you cant give what you don't. It helps to be wide, but if play is switched, that's unfortunate as you wont be able to see the ball go out until you get over there, so play on. In this instance, I wouldnt.let him over rule. I would however if he wants to turn posession of the ball back allow him to instruct his keeper to throw/kick the ball out of play, and go with the throw from there

As others have said, once you make a decision, stick with it. What I would say is don't rush it. Have a second or two to think, then decide. Be clear in what you have decided, if players are appealing offside give a clear shout of "No, Keep going". Try not to let anyone influence your decision, nor coerce you into changing what you've given. Once it's, it's gone, onto the next one. There's too many decisions to be made to get caught up in one.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but for your peace of mind, in respect of penalty/no penalty decision, the location of the ball is irrelevant. It is the location of the offence that determines the outcome, so if you believe a foul happened inside the box and the ball outside, you were correct to award penalty. I am assuming you've listed the issues in the game in order of timing so perhaps, having seen you overturn one decision the thought they could achieve a similar result. Well done for 1) getting the correct decision and 2) sticking with it this time.

Final incident, a strange one. Did the manager turn possession over to the opposition for the throw in, or did it benefit his team. I know parents aren't allowed to run the line, but in academy football, at least when I did it, I made the coaches responsible for ball in/out of play. Our CARs don't do offside around these parts so you'd still have to do offside but at least you wouldnt have to worry about in/out. In my view, if parents aren't going to be allowed to run the line, then the teams should help out, whether they use a sub or a coach there should be some assistance to the referee. Okay, so you dont have any1 running the line. Simple, you can only give what you see, and you cant give what you don't. It helps to be wide, but if play is switched, that's unfortunate as you wont be able to see the ball go out until you get over there, so play on. In this instance, I wouldnt.let him over rule. I would however if he wants to turn posession of the ball back allow him to instruct his keeper to throw/kick the ball out of play, and go with the throw from there
The throw in did benefit his team even though his gk had the ball.

Put the game behind you and move on to the next one. I found when I started refereeing that I was very reactive to every decision. Preemptive approach is, for me, the best way to referee a game. Try and get a system whereby you think about what could be the outcome of a particular play. Personally, I find talking in my head works. For instance, when a ball is going near a touch line, I say to myself repeatedly “in or out” or when there is an attacker running the ball and defender in chase, I usually say “attack free” until they cross into the penalty area, at which point I change this to “penalty”. This helps in both blocking out any shouts from the sideline but also making a decision with confidence.

As regards to positioning, you do not need to be on top of the ball at all times but you do need to be in position to make the correct call. This is hard and will develop with experience as you build it up. Don’t be afraid to sprint to get into a position to make a call but as I said, just build up your game time and you will see what works best for you.

Thanks👌

Just wanted to emphasise what others are saying Lucy, you're doing fine by the sound of it. We all get things wrong at least once or twice a game, the great thing is that you are reflecting on that and working out what to do to improve.

Two things I will add. First, any criticism by players/managers is aimed at the kit and the badge, not at you personally. People complain to and about the ref every game - and they do that whether you're Howard Webb, Martin Atkinson or Jane who works in the chip shop on Sundays. It's not personal. Second, you are almost certainly the one person there who knows the Laws better than everyone else, despite what they say. Better than that, it's your interpretation that matters, not anyone else's.

Holding those two things in your mind will give you confidence that you are making the best decision you can, given what you've seen, so stick with it and show that confidence to everyone else by the way you blow your whistle and signal. The more you do so, the more those around you will accept that you're in charge.

Best of luck - and keep us informed of how you're getting on!

Back