-USB (individual joining a melee)
-Abusive language
-Threatening behaviour (coach)
-GK six second release
-Delaying the restart by standing over the ball
-Delaying the restart be kicking the ball away
-SPA
-USB (blatant holding)
-Offside (narrow/blatant offside with interference not flagged, ball stays in play)
-Offside (offside position, prior to interference, high likelihood of collision with GK)
-DFK/penalty (shirt pulling)
-IDFK (preventing the GK from releasing the ball)
-Injured player to leave the field followed by dropped ball
-Substituted player to leave the field by the nearest touchline
-Any offence leading to a second yellow card (!)

That list is now pretty much normalised. The Arsenal Newcastle match had them all. Most competitive EPL matches have most of these.

Why does this matter? IMHO it makes IFAB, PGMOL and the LotG a farce. Moreover, it makes for an impossible task at grassroots. We just cannot referee like this. Most laws are there for good reason. Grassroots players and referees need to know it is a different game on TV.

The Ref Stop
You missed probably the worst for grassroots football - "manage the benches".

The teams and coaches see Klopp, etc doing what they do in the name of "passion" and think if they show the same, they should not be punished.

Arguably, it would be quicker to list those Laws which are applied as stated in the book
And, it's not just the EPL... Professional Football in general... which then sets contradicting precedent for the rest of the game

It's not that I'm an advocate of applying all Laws strictly as a science (otherwise I'd be pro-VAR), but I do think the situation is way out of hand

I think phrasing this as an EPL problem only is a little misleading - a lot of the items on your list are also expected to be ignored all the way down to grassroots as well.

I think phrasing this as an EPL problem only is a little misleading - a lot of the items on your list are also expected to be ignored all the way down to grassroots as well.
Additionally to this, not just England, but in other nations elite and grassroots leagues as well.

On this subject, anyone else notice the most blatant ignoring of the undershorts law I have seen for years in the recent Forest Chelsea game ?
1672924530753.png

Attachments

• 1672924442684.png
    1672924442684.png
    602 KB · Views: 1
Give you officials, but the laws allow for keepers to wear the same as a last resort.
And has anyone seen a game at any level where it actually became a real issue that the R and GKs (or the 2 GKs) had the same (or even similar) colors? Of all the things in soccer to have concerns about, this one seems pretty trivial.

-Dissent (individual)
-Dissent (group)
-USB (individual joining a melee)
-Abusive language
-Threatening behaviour (coach)
-GK six second release
-Delaying the restart by standing over the ball
-Delaying the restart be kicking the ball away
-SPA
-USB (blatant holding)
-Offside (narrow/blatant offside with interference not flagged, ball stays in play)
-Offside (offside position, prior to interference, high likelihood of collision with GK)
-DFK/penalty (shirt pulling)
-IDFK (preventing the GK from releasing the ball)
-Injured player to leave the field followed by dropped ball
-Substituted player to leave the field by the nearest touchline
-Any offence leading to a second yellow card (!)

That list is now pretty much normalised. The Arsenal Newcastle match had them all. Most competitive EPL matches have most of these.

Why does this matter? IMHO it makes IFAB, PGMOL and the LotG a farce. Moreover, it makes for an impossible task at grassroots. We just cannot referee like this. Most laws are there for good reason. Grassroots players and referees need to know it is a different game on TV.
GKs and referees to wear different colours
Players not to be treated on the fop
Delaying restart of play by many other imaginative ways!

And has anyone seen a game at any level where it actually became a real issue that the R and GKs (or the 2 GKs) had the same (or even similar) colors? Of all the things in soccer to have concerns about, this one seems pretty trivial.
But we're back to the debate we had before Christmas in that case - pointless having laws in the LOTG that everyone knows are not applied.

Or, even more relevantly, incredibly unfair to penalise referees for failing to apply certain laws (failure to use a coin to decide KO), while quite happily accepting ignoring of others (see this thread), without any guidance or indication as to which laws fall into which category.
I think your referencing a certain case their, and I think the main issue with was the context in which it was done...
At a time where the FA are/were investing in and trying to increase the appeal and professionalism of women's football, it was perceived as being opposite to those efforts...
Not saying I agree either way, but I don't think they are exactly in the same ball park. Maybe neighbouring courts.

I think your referencing a certain case their, and I think the main issue with was the context in which it was done...
At a time where the FA are/were investing in and trying to increase the appeal and professionalism of women's football, it was perceived as being opposite to those efforts...
Not saying I agree either way, but I don't think they are exactly in the same ball park. Maybe neighbouring courts.
OK, then make a list of contexts in which each law can and cannot be ignored. It's arguably even more unfair and nonsensical - the idea that it would have been fine to do that in a men's game but is disgraceful and deserving of a 3 week ban in a women's game is just further inconsistency in trying to decide which laws can be ignored and which can't.

Anyway, it's not the only time this has happened. I do remember making a very similar point towards the end of last year on a different case (though cannot for the life of me remember what the "offence" was in that case!) - referees do routinely get penalised for ignoring laws. Which sound perfectly reasonable in isolation, but then starts to stink when you see some laws being ignored so routinely.

I think most on here understand that it is a different game at professional levels.

Mentioned before that David Elleray's reasoning many moons ago was that dissent at the top levels never, well hardly never, leads to physical violence against the referee, whereas we all know that at grassroots dissent and comment from mangers etc needs to be managed much more proactively.

HOWEVER, from my interactions on the other messageboard I frequent, I find it just leads to fans thinking referees at the top are useless.

All fans know dissent and OFFINABUS should be punished but they watch every week where it is ignored, its a difficult argument to say yes its IS in the LOTG, yes it IS ignored and yes the referee DOES know what he is doing - does none of us any favours I don't think.

Hmm - I don’t buy this. With the exception of the 6 second law (really must be replaced) my peers - not last weeks’s ref - apply the rest of these examples at grassroots, elite youth, womens and up the mens pyramid.

I could not control matches (up to L5-4) equivalent without. I would get butchered by colleagues and observers. And I would not be scheduled the matches if I didn’t!

But we're back to the debate we had before Christmas in that case - pointless having laws in the LOTG that everyone knows are not applied.
There was a game I saw on the TV recently where a player was "treated on the field" quickly but his team were preparing a sub (last few minutes) to replace said player. So he stopped about 3-4 yards ON the pitch to continue being treated, delaying time and thus allowing the sub to be prepared properly and come on straight away.
I know you don't want to see teams go down to 10 men/women because of injury as it is an unfair advantage if the injury is caused by a challenge, but on this occasion I think this was an injury caused NOT by a challenge, as I think he'd gone down with cramp.
I'd love to have seen the referee refuse the sub until it was out next time to counter this act of "****housery".
Seeing players go down with cramp way too often these days. Needing treatment for very minor things all the time. It's like they're not taking care of themselves much these days.
I know they're played at different paces, but I rarely see a Sunday morning game where you have several players go down with cramp etc and they're, no offence to these people, much less fitter than these "superhumans".
Professional games are at higher pace but they're also much "fitter" but are carrying more and more "injuries" these days.

And no one seems to see it.

Reactions: es1
I think most on here understand that it is a different game at professional levels.

Mentioned before that David Elleray's reasoning many moons ago was that dissent at the top levels never, well hardly never, leads to physical violence against the referee, whereas we all know that at grassroots dissent and comment from mangers etc needs to be managed much more proactively.

HOWEVER, from my interactions on the other messageboard I frequent, I find it just leads to fans thinking referees at the top are useless.

All fans know dissent and OFFINABUS should be punished but they watch every week where it is ignored, its a difficult argument to say yes its IS in the LOTG, yes it IS ignored and yes the referee DOES know what he is doing - does none of us any favours I don't think.

Or the other way round, because we deal with it, we get accused of making it about ourselves..

Back