The Ref Stop

The list of offences routinely ignored in the EPL

The Ref Stop
There was a game I saw on the TV recently where a player was "treated on the field" quickly but his team were preparing a sub (last few minutes) to replace said player. So he stopped about 3-4 yards ON the pitch to continue being treated, delaying time and thus allowing the sub to be prepared properly and come on straight away.
I know you don't want to see teams go down to 10 men/women because of injury as it is an unfair advantage if the injury is caused by a challenge, but on this occasion I think this was an injury caused NOT by a challenge, as I think he'd gone down with cramp.
I'd love to have seen the referee refuse the sub until it was out next time to counter this act of "****housery".
Seeing players go down with cramp way too often these days. Needing treatment for very minor things all the time. It's like they're not taking care of themselves much these days.
I know they're played at different paces, but I rarely see a Sunday morning game where you have several players go down with cramp etc and they're, no offence to these people, much less fitter than these "superhumans".
Professional games are at higher pace but they're also much "fitter" but are carrying more and more "injuries" these days.

And no one seems to see it.
Similar happened last night. Koulibaly broke a shoe lace and went to the touchline to get new boots, Rob Jones told him to come off the pitch but he ignored him. Paul Tierney then came over and told him the same and he ignored him as well. They eventually got him off but only once he had got his new boots on, he was then waved back on as soon as play was restarted.

Such an easy opportunity for a caution, but they need to be confident they'd be backed by their bossed for giving it.

Back