A&H

Temporary sin bins 2019/20

Anyone had to sin bin a gk?
Esp in a game where he was the only gk as such and it involved another player getting gk kit on etc?

Surely game would need to be dead for him to come back on or can he be ready at goal line for his time up?
There’s no rule as to where a player can enter the FOP, so they can stand next to the goal if they want

The Referee Store
There’s no rule as to where a player can enter the FOP, so they can stand next to the goal if they want
Would the standard entrance requirements of the Laws not apply here too?

During play, they may only enter from a touchline, but at a stoppage, from any boundary line...

Would the standard entrance requirements of the Laws not apply here too?

During play, they may only enter from a touchline, but at a stoppage, from any boundary line...

Not according to our local FA. We’ve been told that they must stand with the substitutes (unless warming up) and at the end of the sin bin, they can enter anywhere when signalled by the referee.

Had my quickest sin bin so far yesterday. A whole 4 minutes had elapsed. Worked a treat though. Not a peep from anyone else in the match

Generally you agree a suitable place for those in the sin bin to stand before the game. It’s normally between the benches. That’s also where they re enter from too

Ironic that a player commits a minor law break gets to sit on the naughty step yet a rock laden referee gets 21 days!
I'm pretty sure it's already been pointed out that this is the normal and perfectly standard suspension for a misapplication of the law. It's not as if they said, "Wow, this is such an egregious offence that we have to make an example and give him an extra-long suspension," it was just the standard punishment.

It's also been pointed out that this wasn't an isolated incident, he had done this several times before and it was also reported in this case that people had offered to lend him a coin and he refused.

Based on the way this was initially reported, I had felt like many that this referee had been a little hard done by but the more I read about it, the less sympathy I have for him, I'm afraid.

I’m interested if sin bins are also working for less able refs. On here people are committed and active. And it seems everyone has a positive experience. Is it really the same for less active refs at grassroots - or is it an added complication?

I'm pretty sure it's already been pointed out that this is the normal and perfectly standard suspension for a misapplication of the law. It's not as if they said, "Wow, this is such an egregious offence that we have to make an example and give him an extra-long suspension," it was just the standard punishment.

It's also been pointed out that this wasn't an isolated incident, he had done this several times before and it was also reported in this case that people had offered to lend him a coin and he refused.

Based on the way this was initially reported, I had felt like many that this referee had been a little hard done by but the more I read about it, the less sympathy I have for him, I'm afraid.
I agree that’s it wrong in law, but players break the laws every game and minor sanctions apply. 21 days is draconian in the extreme! Standard or not!

In Holland at the lower level any and all yellow cards are effectively sin bins. Personally I don't like them, but many referees love the option. No report writing and annoying players are out of your face for ten minutes. I don't really love the way the UK is handling sin bins for dissent only.

I’m interested if sin bins are also working for less able refs. On here people are committed and active. And it seems everyone has a positive experience. Is it really the same for less active refs at grassroots - or is it an added complication?
As an educated guess i'd say it's just like a standard yellow card. If you know how to use it properly (most experienced referees do), it makes your life a lot easier. If you don't know how to use it properly (some less able/experienced referees don't), it can negatively impact your game control.

We have had them in local leagues by me and overall i think its a good thing.

Small things like where does the play stand and re-enter the pitch just common sense.

The only issue i have is actually remembering who can do what when returning to the field etc.

Back