A&H

Teamsheets...what’s the dance?

Teams round my way at OA all have to supply team sheets. There are normally 5 subs named on the hope they might all turn up better to have a no show on a team sheet than a show up left off. At grassroots youth no team sheets although this might now be more difficult with sin bins coming in, but maybe not who knows.

The Referee Store
When i had my team i was coaching in what id call a decent standard and well run league we had 4 copies of a team sheet, one went to the referee pre match, one went to the opposition manager pre match and one went into the league after the game and we kept our own copy.

Now when i referee in most leagues teams have a card with photos of the players on which they are supposed to exchange before the game but i think less 5% actually do.

There was almost an issue yesterday when one team didn't have their match card and the opposition manager was questioning one player in particular but i dont think he wanted to be the one to say "im not playing the game if no match cards"

I spend much of my working week dealing with “paper.” I’m well organised and good with “admin”.

However, come the weekend I just want to go out and referee a game of football, and I suspect the 22 other blokes on the pitch just want to play the game,

I accept that there needs to be some admin and paperwork around the game, but let’s just keep it to a minimum. To be honest, I’m not bothered if Bob Bloggs is the 59th minute sub, or is it Ken Smith? I’m not checking i.d’s so it could be anyone, to me it’s just a name.

If I card someone, I take their name and write it down at the time, after the game, try to match it with someone on the team sheet, and find the name on WholeGame as I put the card through. If the name is not on the team sheet or WholeGame, I’ll just add the name the player gave me on the pitch and let someone else sort it all out.

The day refereeing becomes an admin burden to me will be the day I’ll blow the final whistle on my career.

I’ve done pre-season games with no team sheets. I’ve kicked off league games without a teamsheet from one side as manger has left his book at home and is “waiting for his missus to drop it off”. I’ve got a drawer full of crumpled team sheets from this season, taking up space that I’ll shred during the close season.

The bottom line is, you can give me a teamsheet, but I’ve no idea if the no. 9 really is Bob Smith, or some ringer, but in the words of Vick Pollard: “ Am I bothered?”

Its mandatory in Scotland.
We dont get the choice to be bothered or not.

Its also mandatory, esp in semi pro, where, I would guess most posters on here would end up as an AR, to, allow, only named subs onto the park. (the LOTG also state this) Disciplinary action will be taken and has been, againgst officials who mess this up

There seems to also be a misunderstanding. Here, the team sheet is not to prove who is who, correct, as officials, we dont care, the team sheet is however considered as a basic requirement pre match

no sheets (at a push name and numbers on scrap paper), no game

a referee doing otherwise will be called to a meeting and worse.

In Aus also no teamsheet no game. Blank peace of paper with names and shirt numbers can replace a teamsheet on odd occasions.

It certainly is not the referee's responsibility to match the names on the teamsheet to players or substitutes. Local rule: if a manager bring to the attention of the referee that a player on the field is not who he says he is the referee then must ask for a player ID, if the name and photo match, no further action required. If names don't match, player is gone, game continues and report is required. If names match but photo doesn't (or suspicious), game continues, player can continue but report is needed.

Back