A&H

Junior/Youth "take him down" incident.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I was doing an under 16s game today and the blue team are 1-0 down to the red team.

A blue team attacker breaks free of a defender and is getting away about 15 yards outside the centre circle A red player then shouts to another red player "take him down". This player is behind me so i cannot see who said it.

There is a red player and the red keeper in front of the blue attacker when another red player then makes a late and deliberate challenge (one footed) designed to stop the blue player advancing. Nowhere near playing the ball - an old fashioned professional foul.

When the foul takes place the player is only 3 yards outside the penalty area. It's not a OGSO because of the two red players in front of him but it was a deliberate foul on the blue attacker.

Is this in any way SFP or VC? I gave myself thinking time and thought there's no way i can sell a red here so i gave a yellow.

The red players congratulated him for "stopping him from shooting".

Is this just a yellow for the other readers?

The Referee Store
Sounds like a correct decision. Was it tackling the player on the ball? If so, its unlikely to be VC. Was it dangerous? If not dangerous, its not SFP. Yellow for stopping a promising attack.

An example of this was Henry Lansbury getting a red card for Aston Villa last season for delibrately sliding in to trip a player who was on a promising attack. The card was recinded after an appeal. Cant remember the reason the ref put for the card (SFP or VC) but it was obviously neither of them on review.

If it's not a DOGSO, sounds like C1 FT, foul tackle/preventing a promising attack rather than RP which is more related to player safety

Sounds like just a yellow to me, but it’s hard to tell without seeing the hallenge for myself.
It sometimes irks me that blatantly bringing somebody down like this only attracts a yellow. It was the fact it was premeditated.

It was also annoying that i could not work out who shouted to him (that would have been worth a yellow too!)

I was doing an under 16s game today and the blue team are 1-0 down to the red team.

A blue team attacker breaks free of a defender and is getting away about 15 yards outside the centre circle A red player then shouts to another red player "take him down". This player is behind me so i cannot see who said it.

There is a red player and the red keeper in front of the blue attacker when another red player then makes a late and deliberate challenge (one footed) designed to stop the blue player advancing. Nowhere near playing the ball - an old fashioned professional foul.

When the foul takes place the player is only 3 yards outside the penalty area. It's not a OGSO because of the two red players in front of him but it was a deliberate foul on the blue attacker.

Is this in any way SFP or VC? I gave myself thinking time and thought there's no way i can sell a red here so i gave a yellow.

The red players congratulated him for "stopping him from shooting".

Is this just a yellow for the other readers?
If this tackle was in the other half of the field what would you have sanctioned? If the answer is not a red card then you made the right decision for the incident.

It sometimes irks me that blatantly bringing somebody down like this only attracts a yellow. It was the fact it was premeditated.

It was also annoying that i could not work out who shouted to him (that would have been worth a yellow too!)
I don't see how you can caution someone who would ask a team mate to foul an opponent. If it's inciting violence that's another story.

You are the ref. It's your opinion that counts in your game in this situatiin. I can't justify a yellow card for instigating a foul in my games.

Last edited:
Agree with the majority here. "Take him down" is fine - it's tactical advice and doesn't carry any suggestion that the tackle should be forceful etc. "F*** him up!" might be a different matter, but I still think you'd struggle to support anything more than AA in law in the context you describe above.

Agree with the majority here. "Take him down" is fine - it's tactical advice and doesn't carry any suggestion that the tackle should be forceful etc. "F*** him up!" might be a different matter, but I still think you'd struggle to support anything more than AA in law in the context you describe above.
Disagree, C1 UB (not specified)

I remember a coach shouting 'snap him' in a Junior game many years back. I stopped the game in the next break of play and gave him a complete roasting and last warning... Asking a kid to to snap someone was an absolutely appalling choice of words and not welcome on or near a game I referee!!!

Yellow by the letter of the law. Personally think this sort of thing should be a red though (but obviously unjustifiable in law)

I remember a coach shouting 'snap him' in a Junior game many years back. I stopped the game in the next break of play and gave him a complete roasting and last warning... Asking a kid to to snap someone was an absolutely appalling choice of words and not welcome on or near a game I referee!!!
Yep, done that.......

Is "take him down" tactical?

If it was "tackle him" etc that's fine for me. "Take him down" for me is suggesting bring him down by any means. It's all down to opinion though.

Last edited:
Back