A&H

Struggling with directional issues/which team is kicking where?

The Referee Store
Even with neutral ARs? - at the top levels in England the 'trend' is for refs not to signal in my experience.

That's just ARs I think CM.

Yip, sorry, I meant ARs. As ref I do give some kinda signal at goal kick, always a corner, and rare a throw...

The root cause of this problem is impartiality
As spectators, we usually have a vested interest in which way a decision is given, but as referees, we should only be interested in getting the decision right (regardless of direction);)
That's a good point ! I hadn't thought of it that way. The crowd are just watching their own side, hence easier.

It might seem trivial to some, but I've suffered with this for years, Martin. So don't feel alone. It's the first 5 mins of the 2nd half that normally triggers my first "windmill" (as so eloquently described above). I now have a habit of talking to myself constantly in those first 5 mins. "reds are attacking the trees...reds are attacking the trees and so on"...just to train my brain which way the sides are now kicking.

That's a good point ! I hadn't thought of it that way. The crowd are just watching their own side, hence easier.

It might seem trivial to some, but I've suffered with this for years, Martin. So don't feel alone. It's the first 5 mins of the 2nd half that normally triggers my first "windmill" (as so eloquently described above). I now have a habit of talking to myself constantly in those first 5 mins. "reds are attacking the trees...reds are attacking the trees and so on"...just to train my brain which way the sides are now kicking.

I think a lot of us do - which is a good sign if you look at that way!

Start of 2nd half if AR I will often say to myself 'Blue attacking, red defending' a few times just to get it in my head.

I think a lot of us do - which is a good sign if you look at that way!

Start of 2nd half if AR I will often say to myself 'Blue attacking, red defending' a few times just to get it in my head.

That's it ! Perhaps it's not just me, then ! you've cheered up an old man.

In England you are told once you get to L3 to stop signalling throw-ins unless you are leading on it, that is my experience anyway. The logic for it is that you have an assistant to signal for you, and there is less chance of crossing if you just give a discreet low down signal and let the assistant flag. At top levels you will very rarely see referees signal throw-ins.

On the OP, I have had a similar problem and still do in the first 10 minutes of the second half. What has helped me is concentration and taking my time before signalling.

Strangely I can't find anything in the LOTG stating the referee MUST hand signal for every decision. There is this on page 196 pdf

1548886886042.png

However this on Page 198 kind of implies that between the referee and AR only one has to signal for obvious goal kicks / corner kicks.

1548885412037.png

Even with neutral ARs? - at the top levels in England the 'trend' is for refs not to signal in my experience.

Yeah. In my experience when getting onto Assistant duty, both the A/R and referee will signal together, usually all the time. Might change the further up the ladder though, I'm not quite at a level to be considered at the top!

I dont signal majority of throws for two reasons, one, as per use of whistle, using it too much diminishes the effect, and two, avoids the AR and me going opposite ways.
Slightly off topic but one worth consideration is giving a goal kick on a pk claim...plenty times have seen initial confusion on this...

Back