A&H

Struggling with directional issues/which team is kicking where?

MartinLi24

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,
I'm a relatively new Level 7 referee (first few months) and even though I've done about a dozen games I'm still really struggling with direction as a referee. As an AR I think it's easier because for 45 minutes each time then pointing your right-hand is always going to be for the blue team (for example) and left hand always the red team, and then you swap at half-time (left hand now=blue team, right hand=red team) and maybe the first 5 minutes in the second half you're still confused but it's fine afterwards.
However when I'm in the middle I find it really hard at all times? I don't know why, it's not even the first 5 minutes after the second half, it seems to be everywhere and essentially whenever I go for a spin (e.g. one of the teams breaks up play and goes on the counter) and I spin then it's the other way, and then play goes the other way and I turn around and then signals are the opposite direction again. Does anyone have any tips on these orientation issues? Some have suggested to me to "pretend you're playing for the attacking team" but I'm not sure this has helped. I'm not sure why it's such a big problem but I've definitely changed my mind on multiple calls when I have sorted my hands out and this loses credibility.

The Referee Store
The main tip I give for this is that you shouldn't always feel the need to make an instant direction signal with your hands - if you're confused, shout "blue throw" and then follow up with a hand signal a few seconds later once you've orientated yourself properly.

Best advice here would be to call the colour/team you will be awarding the throw in too.
Example if it goes for a blue throw a big shout of BLUE THROW or BLUE BALL. That way even if you're hand signals get mixed up no1 needs to look at you for your decision anyway.
Another is to use your assistants, if they are any good of course. You'll soon get to know the bad and the good ones who can help you out.
Also watching player reactions and the way they are facing i.e. a defender mlving bacwards towards his goal and attacker taking the throw in in that direction.
As always, take your time... you dont have to rush into the signal, give your self 1 or 2 or 4 seconds if u need to decide which arm to signal with.

Finally, dont worry too much at this early stage of your career, it will all start to come naturally

Martin, you aren't alone in this, it's been mentioned on a lot of the referee forums I'm on and I myself have struggled occasionally. I've only done 20 games but I am finding it becoming less of a problem with experience. Using verbal signals is the best advice already given, it then gives you a couple of seconds to orientate yourself as to which way to point

Use your voice, but it is just practise and it will come to you and you won't even think about it you will just do it by instinct. Yes you will do a wrong one now and again but it will come naturally.

Oh man, I've definitely caused some problems with this!
sometimes looking for a key feature will help. Mutter to yourself, 'red team, attacking carpark. Blue team, attacking the hill', that sort of thing.
No distinguishing features? Try to note early the different keepers 'red team attacking keeper with blue socks'. Mutter it to yourself half a dozen times so so....even just think those sentences through - and that should help.

Failing that? Go to your voice.

It also took me some time to get my head around this. I found using the goalkeeps helpful for e.g. Red throw towards the goalkeeper in yellow and blue throw towards goal keeper In pink. Another technique I used was as somebody else mentioned, use the land features around you e.g. Red throw towards the trees, blue throw towards the club house. Hope this helps!

Don't worry about it, even very experienced referees at senior levels make this mistake every now and again. I once did it in a contrib game in front of 600+ spectators, much to the amusement of the assessor.

Point to whatever goal they're attacking. Don't be afraid to blow your whistle then slowly raise your arm towards their attacking direction. Also if you're vocal and shout "Red free kick! Blue free kick!" Not only will it help your communication and match control, but it'll help you get it right too.

It's one of those things that comes with experience. Once you get a few games under your belt it'll come naturally.

I have a question on this,

Do I need to be signalling for every throw in, even if it is completely obvious and the players are just getting on with it?

I have a question on this,

Do I need to be signalling for every throw in, even if it is completely obvious and the players are just getting on with it?

I think you're expected to if you're being observed, but it's a good habit to get into anyway.

I think you're expected to if you're being observed, but it's a good habit to get into anyway.
I was told by an observer: Don't signal if everyone knows which way it is and don't signal if you're too far away from an obvious goal-kick.

With the throw ins, for the most part I signal. There is times when I have just let the game run though.

I have signalled for every goal kick/corner though.

With the throw ins, for the most part I signal. There is times when I have just let the game run though.

I have signalled for every goal kick/corner though.
Always signal everything as an assistant, but as a referee is becomes less necessary on obvious decisions.

The root cause of this problem is impartiality
As spectators, we usually have a vested interest in which way a decision is given, but as referees, we should only be interested in getting the decision right (regardless of direction)
So there you have it
I've been known to do windmills on occasions, even though I've analysed and determined the root cause ;)

I always signal for corners and throw ins unless it happens to quick for me, only as a habit. Obvious GKs not all the time but if anything is close or a decision needs to be made I will signal strongly even if I am not sure. Be wrong with confidence its better than being wrong and wooly

Back