A&H

Stranraer v East Fife

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I'd love to know how long it actually was between the offence and coming back and showing the red card as I'm more shocked at how he didn't even flinch when the keeper done it
Am I wrong in thinking he should have blown up for double handling by the keeper, if inside, or handball if outside straight away?
He has clearly "released" the ball although badly and tried to rectify it by playing it again.

A&H International
Yep I was wondering about the double handling, would it be considered DOGSO with the Stranraer player in close rather than him touching it outside the penalty area?

Where I think the referee might have been confused was with the 3rd screenshot I have put below. There is a sort of mercy rule where if a keeper tries to KICK the ball into play and fluffs it.

Reckon the referee made the mistake of assuming the keeper regained control inside the box, and it was okay as the keeper obviously messed up the throw (which would have been fine if it was a kick, but not a throw).

Referee had comms from an Assistant communicating that it was outside the box. So DOGSO.

If it was inside the box it would have been IDFK no caution.

1726438697780.png
1726438716026.png
1726438993032.png
IFAB. Law 12.2

Attachments

• 1726438572814.png
    1726438572814.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1726438592620.png
    1726438592620.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 10
1726439554985.png

Also on the rewatch, that is very close. I am not 100% sure that the whole ball is outside the penalty area. But lino has the 90 degree angle.

Am I wrong in thinking he should have blown up for double handling by the keeper, if inside, or handball if outside straight away?
He has clearly "released" the ball although badly and tried to rectify it by playing it again.
I think you are probably thinking of a double touch after a restart. The keeper having the ball in their hands isn't a restart. So the double touch offence that trumps the handling offence wouldn't be in play here (had it been inside the box).

1726440050338.png
IFAB. Law 12.1 (Handling the ball)

Interesting incident. I know they have comms but I would still expect the AR to have flagged immediately if it had been handled outside the box?

I'm viewing this quite straightforwardly as a double touch inside the PK, so IDFK & no sanction.

If it 'was' handled outside the box then that happened after the first offence of the double touch.

The referee's restart was an IDFK outside the area which I think confuses me further.

I'm viewing this quite straightforwardly as a double touch inside the PK, so IDFK & no sanction.

If it 'was' handled outside the box then that happened after the first offence of the double touch.

The referee's restart was an IDFK outside the area which I think confuses me further.

If the double-touch was in the area and the ball was then carried outside the area, I'd be a pretty annoyed opposition player to find out that the referee chose to blow for an IFK offence rather than playing a 0.2 second advantage and then blowing for a red card and DFK offence.

If the double-touch was in the area and the ball was then carried outside the area, I'd be a pretty annoyed opposition player to find out that the referee chose to blow for an IFK offence rather than playing a 0.2 second advantage and then blowing for a red card and DFK offence.
☝🏻
It's also all one action so I would be having that as the offences committed simultaneously and we all know what to when that happens, right?

The commentary on that is comedic as well.
Yeah, me too. What offence is there here, that could lead to an IFK outside the penalty area?
There isn't one. It's either 2nd touch inside idfk no sanction or dfk for a hb offence in which case agree on red card DOGSO hb.

It seems bizarre that neither the referee nor the AR seem to show any interest to begin with. The AR's bang in line yet doesn't flag or even stand his ground, he just carries on walking up the line, and the referee starts running to follow play.

I think its very strange that either the referee has come to that conclusion himself or the lino has said something on coms and decided not to flag for it, so definitely would like to see how they came to that conclusion.

I think something even more bizarre is the match officials wearing an orange top in this game.

I think something even more bizarre is the match officials wearing an orange top in this game.
Interestingly I was AR for that referee earlier this season in a lower level game and he mentioned then that the SPFL have said officials are only to wear one of the three current kits (black, yellow or red) in SPFL games. So whilst the red isn’t ideal against the East Fife kit, there’s not much other choice.

Interestingly I was AR for that referee earlier this season in a lower level game and he mentioned then that the SPFL have said officials are only to wear one of the three current kits (black, yellow or red) in SPFL games. So whilst the red isn’t ideal against the East Fife kit, there’s not much other choice.
No idea why the other 2 colours are on sale elsewhere (without the livery) but not on the actual suppliers website...

This is fantastic- only last week I was reading a thread on here about keepers double touches and DOGSO.

All very interesting, I thought, but nothing I’ll ever see, other than in a copy of “You are the ref” or a particularly fiendish LoTG quiz. But no, here we have an example in the wild. Brilliant.

Help me out here, I think I’ve got this all sorted in my head but …

Situation above I understand- RC if outside the box, but not inside the box as keeper can’t be sanctioned for a handball offence in the area.

Different scenario: goal kick, keeper takes, scuffs kick. Striker reacts first, nearly at the ball, ball still in area, keeper dives on ball and gathers into is grateful arms. Outcome: idk for double touch, red card for DOGSO.

Have I got that right?

Confused of Somerset.

This is fantastic- only last week I was reading a thread on here about keepers double touches and DOGSO.

All very interesting, I thought, but nothing I’ll ever see, other than in a copy of “You are the ref” or a particularly fiendish LoTG quiz. But no, here we have an example in the wild. Brilliant.

Help me out here, I think I’ve got this all sorted in my head but …

Situation above I understand- RC if outside the box, but not inside the box as keeper can’t be sanctioned for a handball offence in the area.

Different scenario: goal kick, keeper takes, scuffs kick. Striker reacts first, nearly at the ball, ball still in area, keeper dives on ball and gathers into is grateful arms. Outcome: idk for double touch, red card for DOGSO.

Have I got that right?

Confused of Somerset.
No one really knows what was given. The restart appeared to be an IDFK outside of the penalty area, so that doesn't tally with either DOGSO for handling outside the area or a double touch. For the former would clearly be a DFK, and if for the latter it would be an IDFK inside the area or a DFK outside of the area (on the basis the handling outside of the area is a DFK as the more serious offence).

Also, the AR appears to run up the line after the keeper touches the ball for the second time, whereas if he was going to indicate that the ball had been handled outside of the penalty area he would have held his ground for credibility. I suspect the 4th official alerted the referee to the keeper handling it twice.

No one really knows what was given. The restart appeared to be an IDFK outside of the penalty area, so that doesn't tally with either DOGSO for handling outside the area or a double touch. For the former would clearly be a DFK, and if for the latter it would be an IDFK inside the area or a DFK outside of the area (on the basis the handling outside of the area is a DFK as the more serious offence).

Also, the AR appears to run up the line after the keeper touches the ball for the second time, whereas if he was going to indicate that the ball had been handled outside of the penalty area he would have held his ground for credibility. I suspect the 4th official alerted the referee to the keeper handling it twice.
Pretty sure there was no 4th. On highlights AR is up sorting substitutions out.

Pretty sure there was no 4th. On highlights AR is up sorting substitutions out.

I think the referee has confused the direct free kick handball with 2nd touch and penalised the wrong offence making it a double, maybe even triple, error.

Back