A&H

Stoke V Leicester

The Referee Store
Vardy decision looks harsh from the dodgy replays I just saw... looks like he is airborne but in control, the tackle is sideways, and he takes the ball... I trust the ref's judgement but I can understand why some might not see it as a red...

I thought the MOTD pundits were very harsh on the referee, he got both decisions absolutely right IMO.

Vardy decision looks harsh from the dodgy replays I just saw... looks like he is airborne but in control, the tackle is sideways, and he takes the ball... I trust the ref's judgement but I can understand why some might not see it as a red...
Don't agree that Vardy was ever in control, getting the ball has nothing to do with it. The follow through was a potential leg breaker for me, spot on red.

Struggle with the handball penalty. Just wasn't deliberate in my opinion, but lets not recreate the 'other' post over this one......

At first view it looks like a good old fashioned clearance tackle but in todays more clinical protected footballer age you just can't tackle like that. I'm sure the Rojo stick he got played on his mind too. Wasn't a stick on red but I can understand in law that the red card was perfectly justified..

Last edited:
Your control is lost the moment you leave the ground with both feet, unless you have the ability to defy physics... or you have control surfaces which enable you to change direction and speed built into your football kit!

Last edited:
Birds can control themselves in flight humans can't. The moment he leaves the ground what happens next is chance and luck. Sent someone yesterday for exact same.

Don't understand the fuss over either decision to be honest.

As soon as Vardy left the ground, he was out of control and what happened next was down to luck. In terms of the penalty, I don't think it was deliberate but he has undoubtedly prevented the cross going in with his hand in a very strange position.

Claudio Ranieri needs to take a long, hard look at himself. That behaviour at HT was a disgrace.

Don't understand the fuss over either decision to be honest.

As soon as Vardy left the ground, he was out of control and what happened next was down to luck. In terms of the penalty, I don't think it was deliberate but he has undoubtedly prevented the cross going in with his hand in a very strange position.

Claudio Ranieri needs to take a long, hard look at himself. That behaviour at HT was a disgrace.

So are you saying that it wasn't handball?

I thought the MOTD pundits were very harsh on the referee, he got both decisions absolutely right IMO.
havent seen it but if the pundits disagreed, i am sure they were good decisions, tv pundits are clueless when it comes to the laws

Reactions: DB
Why, why why are referees suckered into this un-natural / natural position rubbish. Football is a simple game confused by recent lawmakers and extra guidances.
Question one for any referee, Did player IYO handle a ball deliberately??? Question Two, Did his hand do something to go towards a ball (on purpose), You are then asked to consider speed, closeness etc etc. With all those factors considered, are you still sure a player handled a ball deliberately?? Could he have done something to prevent it?
Now, when modern players became organised trained 'cheats', huge money was involved, they started to get clever, they were looking for every perceivable angle to turn a game the way, and playing on our good nature and sensing a weakness in what we saw as deliberate handball they had learned to hang their hands out like shovels, (making themselves bigger etc etc). So, the lawmakers then added guidance to try and catch out the most blatant cheats. Quite rightly IMO. But, the cases of the swinging arms are surely different, we all swing them in different ways, for balance, for lift, its part of natural human movement. He has to be super skilled to swing his arms into the exact position to block a ball deliberately on purpose at speed! Yes at the lower speeds and further away there are better cases for a penalty I totally agree!

Both of these recent situations, in my opinion fall into this grey area of, you've seen a players hand / arm get hit, players are bitching for a prompt decision, (a decision that could be worth millions of pounds). So you have to consider, Has he REALLY handled a ball on purpose or tried to cheat and handle a ball deliberately?? Tough call but thats why we are there!!!
IMO, in both cases I don't think either player was trying to cheat, or they have deliberately handled the ball. Its just speed and direction call which I think should have been turned down!
Its a mess because no-one has ever told me eloquently what a natural or un-natural position actually is???

The quicker they can sort this out the better!!

Last edited:
Did the player move his arms to a position which was in the balls flight path? If the players hand(s) were in line of flight, did he have time to move his hands or was the ball travelling too quickly? Has the player appeared to deliberately handle the ball, in other words, could it have been avoided?

These are the questions I ask myself when considering a handball decision. I never use this "natural/unnatural position" jargon.

Although the Vardy tackle looked much worse than it actually was and nowhere near as bad as the two Rojo tackles it was a bang on red card.
The penalty was the correct decision for me as well.

Back