A&H

Stiggypop Blog - Second Game of the Season

whistle-300x238.jpg

Wednesday brought about my 2nd game as a level 5 referee in the Windsor Foods County Senior League, and my first mid-week match along with a 6pm kick off.
Lesson one: It gets dark quick this time of the year! If no flood lighting is available, consider reducing both halves by 5 minutes! Needless to say, we played the full 45 and finished in very dim light!
I went in to the game far less nervous than my first match last Saturday, although there were some nerves on board as this was to be my first assessment of the Season!
The boots were polished, the kit bag was meticulously checked and I started to think what I needed to try to get right to score well with the assessor:
  • Jewellery checks.
  • Body armour matching the kit colour.
  • Caution to law, i.e. persistent infringement, kicking the ball away, dissent etc.
  • Lead players out, RESPECT handshake, and so forth…
The pitch was really long and wide, so when both teams started to play the ‘long ball’ game, I knew I was going to have to work hard to keep up with play. All in all, the game went well and it was nice for both teams to shake hands with me after the game, along with comments of “well played ref” and even as far as “I wish we had you every week”, which was a nice comment to receive in front of the assessor, who picked up on it and said “it’s great to see that the players respect you”.
So… the assessment… I received 3 strengths and 3 areas for development. The first development being an absolute schoolboy error, and something that I usually do every game. Upon reflection, I can only put the
reason for not doing so on this occasion down to rushing to get started on time:
  • It may be helpful to develop a pre-match routine, briefing your assistants so you and they are clear about their role/positioning and your expectations of each other throughout the game.
Basically, before starting the games both club assistants were on their oppositions left-back’s instead of their own, needless to say that should I have started the game there wouldn’t have been many offsides! To make matter worse, I started the second half without one of the club assistants, but noticed and rectified within a couple of minutes of re-starting the game.
Strength’s:
  • You have a good level of fitness and regulated your pace well throughout the game.
  • From the outset you confidently showed control, earning the respect of the players, managers and crowd.
  • Good communication with the players. Clear hand and distinct whistle signals.
At the end of the game I left pleased with my game and most of all enjoyed it. Onwards to my first Barnsley League fixture!

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back