A&H

Stiggypop Blog - First Game of the Season

Today brings the first game of the new football season for me, and my first as a Level 5 referee. My first appointment is in the Windsor Foods County Senior Football League Division One.
For some reason, I am feeling really nervous… how can this be so when I am simply doing something that I have done a thousand times before?
I can only put it down to fear of the unknown. This is my first ‘middle’ in the County Senior League, but why should I treat this game any different from any other?
All of the checks have been made meticulously. It is a good job really as I almost forgot my socks!
Anyway, it is almost time to set off to the ground so I will update this post with some post match feedback later!
Ciao for now!
UPDATE: So the game finished 0 – 2. In all fairness the game went pretty smooth with no real drama whatsoever.
The first goal was a scrappy one with many players around the goal-mouth and an array of legs flying here there and everywhere with the attackers trying to get it in the goal and the defenders trying to clear the danger. I was looking for something to give but there was nothing worthy so eventually when the ball crossed the touchline I could give nothing other than a goal.
The second goal was more classy, with the attacker skinning a few players before slotting the ball in to the bottom corner from some 25 yards.
After the game, a certain Mr. Uriah Rennie graced us with his presence in the changing room along with his Son which was a welcome suprise. It turns out that he is President of Ecclesfield Red Rose FC who were playing on the adjacent pitch. One of my fellow referee’s, and friend, John Oldfield was in charge of their fixture along with his two assistants. Four in a changing room was quite a fit!
Until next Wednesday when I have to travel a fair old distance to referee in a County Senior Division Two match, I bid you farewell!

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back