A&H

Stats

The Referee Store
Not sure where everyone is finding these giant pitches at grassroots! My average is 7km, 8km max. (Polar M430, 1s sampling)

Tsk, tsk. y'all are being so unfair to @Sheffields Finest For multiplication, which comes first doesn't matter--2r and r2 are precisely the same. Only if the 2 was raised would it be squared. We all know he isn't always bound by tradition, so him putting them in a different order is not out of character! :D

Tsk, tsk. y'all are being so unfair to @Sheffields Finest For multiplication, which comes first doesn't matter--2r and r2 are precisely the same. Only if the 2 was raised would it be squared. We all know he isn't always bound by tradition, so him putting them in a different order is not out of character! :D
You give him too much credit.....it is definitely intended to be a 'square'

Often see younger chaps with fancy watches tell me they've done 9km at the end of a game. Some of these refs are, let's be polite here, not in the best of shape and not exactly flying around the pitch.

Put the watches away, pick a known route of 9km and see if you can get anywhere near it in 90 mins (stopping for a short break after 45 mins). Not an exact science of course, but I suggest if you're not getting anywhere near 9km doing that, you're not doing it on a game day.

Last edited:
I wasn't the fastest referees but was consistent for 90 minutes, forget all the referee gadget tat, 9km running around making mistakes everywhere doesn't even compete with one at 5km getting most right.... Distance doesn't equal quality, if you think it does then sadly, you're deluded!!!

Often see younger chaps with fancy watches tell me they've done 9km at the end of a game. Some of these refs are, let's be polite here, not in the best of shape and not exactly flying around the pitch.

Put the watches away, pick a known route of 9km and see if you can get anywhere near it in 90 mins (stopping for a short break after 45 mins). Not an exact science of course, but I suggest if you're not getting anywhere near 9km doing that, you're not doing it on a game day.
As a fairly fit older ref, I managed 8k on most matches and nine on some of the more challenging ones with the odd 10k plus. 8 or 9k in 90 minutes is not difficult.
90 minutes running with a 15 minute break......I'd be covering about 16k........

I wasn't the fastest referees but was consistent for 90 minutes, forget all the referee gadget tat, 9km running around making mistakes everywhere doesn't even compete with one at 5km getting most right.... Distance doesn't equal quality, if you think it does then sadly, you're deluded!!!

I'm still pretty quick, I've run sub 12 seconds in the 100ms in pre seasons when I played, but there are many refs who are far better than I who never break out of a pedestrian jog. It's not essential to be able to cover the ground quickly, but it does help. Sometimes I feel that when I'm sprinting I also go for the whistle too quickly following an incident. During some games is trade my fitness for a quicker brain in a flash

As a fairly fit older ref, I managed 8k on most matches and nine on some of the more challenging ones with the odd 10k plus. 8 or 9k in 90 minutes is not difficult.
90 minutes running with a 15 minute break......I'd be covering about 16k........

Give it a go. If you're succeeding in doing that then full credit to you....

I agree that averaging 6km/hr is relatively simple if you're fit. But it's amazing how many are no way near as fit as they think they are after being given some pretty sceptical data from a watch. There's also plenty of periods of rest or relative rest during a game. Go and do a 90 minute run and see how you get on would be my advice to anyone

Give it a go. If you're succeeding in doing that then full credit to you....

I agree that averaging 6km/hr is relatively simple if you're fit. But it's amazing how many are no way near as fit as they think they are after being given some pretty sceptical data from a watch. There's also plenty of periods of rest or relative rest during a game. Go and do a 90 minute run and see how you get on would be my advice to anyone
I'd definitely struggle at the moment, lost my running mojo, having to settle for the gym three or four times a week....need to get back on the road, got a 10k in April and I'll struggle to break 60 minutes if I don't get a move on......

I'm still pretty quick, I've run sub 12 seconds in the 100ms in pre seasons when I played, but there are many refs who are far better than I who never break out of a pedestrian jog. It's not essential to be able to cover the ground quickly, but it does help. Sometimes I feel that when I'm sprinting I also go for the whistle too quickly following an incident. During some games is trade my fitness for a quicker brain in a flash
Andre Mariner
Never gets over 5mph, always within 20 yards of play. There must be some TV trickery going on :confused:

In that Ford jalopy maybe❤️

Andre Mariner
Never gets over 5mph, always within 20 yards of play. There must be some TV trickery going on :confused:
The demarcation between the good and the great is how well they understand play - it means they anticipate the next phase better, so they're in position faster more often, so they see the play and make more accurate decisions.
If you know what's going to happen in five seconds' time, you can spend those five seconds jogging over. If you don't know until it has happened, you're going to sprint and still be late.

@Ben448844 6km/hr is fast pace walk. It's not too hard to cover 9km in a game but I do get your point about misrepresenting fancy watch outputs. We had a ref post this pitch map for a mid division ladies grassroots game with 12km coverage.

1574221782714.png

@Ben448844 6km/hr is fast pace walk. It's not too hard to cover 9km in a game but I do get your point about misrepresenting fancy watch outputs. We had a ref post this pitch map for a mid division ladies grassroots game with 12km coverage.

View attachment 3876
That looks like one of @Mintyref s efforts at the weekly art class at his care home if I’m not mistaken, has he autographed it for you?? 🥴

Back