A&H

Starting as a referee

Adam Smith

I am onto doing my 6 games, when do you get your country reg number? As I emailed a league secretary and said I should have one, so what shall I do?
Also when you complete the course properly, do you get the county fa badge or the FAMOA badge? So which badge should I get when I order the kit? Thanks

A&H International
Hi Adam

Firstly, welcome to the site and also to the truly wonderful world of refereeing!

If you're unsure of any details such as County Reg number or FA Number, you'd need to contact your County RDO and they will be able to help you out.

I'm not sure which badge they give actually, as when I qualified we were given County but my brother was given FAMOA. I think, from what others have said previously, you get FAMOA.

I wouldn't say they were needed as such, it just looks better IMO

Another thing, does it make any difference if you order a kit with the FAMOA badge or do you need to wait until you ref 6 games and finished the course completely? Thanks

I wouldn't have thought itd be the end of the world

Thanks, last things I think, so would it just be easier to get a plain kit and ref until I get a FAMOA badge and sew it on after 6 games? Also when do you get county fa badges or don't they do them anymore and does it cost? Thanks

You can also get county badges from your RDO usually. I picked one up for £5, so have a look there.

Thanks, will get one when order my kit and sew the FAMOA on after 6 games.
Which side of the shirt does each badge go on? Thanks

If one badge, it goes left hand side. If both, don't think it makes massive difference (I wear FAMOA left)

Also, yes, get black boots. Looks 100x more professional than coloured (or even non-black) boots.

Definitely speak to your RDO about County badge when you speak to him about reg number.

I agree with the one badge bit. I can't remember who told me county left, but that is what I was told, but as you say I don't think it makes a difference. I think you only have to wear county badges for county cup games anyway, although I have mine on all the time.

I would also recommend wearing black boots. Thats always the first thing I notice in a referee, and makes a bad impression if you don't have black boots.

I've just gone through this whole thing just a few weeks ago.
1.) You get given the FAMOA badge after completing 6 games, you will then need to get that sewn onto your shirt.
2.) I got my county fa badge by asking them where they have their stuff embroided (ie their polo shirts they wear), they used a local company, I asked a person at the CFA to notify the embroiders so that they were allowed to let me use the badge.
3.) If you are going to use both badges, the CFA one goes on your left hand side (when wearing it) and the FAMOA badge goes on your right hand side.
4.) Black boots definitely, if I was a player I would take the kick out of a ref in green/yellow (etc) boots

Hope it all goes well, good luck and have fun :D

Thanks, I was thinking about ordering a kit with the FAMOA on, so this wouldn't be ok? Or should I just get a plain shirt and then put the badges on after 6 games?

Back