A&H

Standing on the ball

I think you're looking for a level of certainty and specificity that the LOTG generally doesn't have. It's unreasonable to expect the offender to have moved away before the offended-against team is ready to go - and the placement of the ball is usually a good indication that this time period is over and the offended-against team is ready to start playing. So that's a good indication that the other player shouldn't be actively obstructing the kick any longer. But that's a casual practical refereeing tip rather than a specific law.
Thank you. I understand the LOTG don't address this. I'm always looking for practical tips like most of you provide here. I always struggle with kids standing on the ball, so I was just trying to dig a little deeper into One's response. Thanks again.

The Referee Store
Comes under the “you know if if you see it” kinda Law application we get week-in, week-out.

“does the game expect a caution here…?”

Thank you. I understand the LOTG don't address this. I'm always looking for practical tips like most of you provide here. I always struggle with kids standing on the ball, so I was just trying to dig a little deeper into One's response. Thanks again.

"You don't want to do that."

"We aren't doing that today."

"You know that isn't 10 yards." (The response is often "they have to ask" to which our response is "no they don't")

(I know a number of refs who tell youth players in pregame that they will be cautioned for doing it, but I'm really not a fan of that.)

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I only bolded what I was asking about. Can you expand on the need for the "ball to be placed"? Do you mean, once the attacking player walks up to the ball for instance? Does that count as "being placed"?
When I wrote it the intent wasn't a hard and fast rule but as @GraemeS said, a practical tip. I had a couple of reasons in mind, cautioning someone before even the free kick is ready to go would look over over officious. Also to be 10 yards away you need somewhere to be 10 yards away from. Placement of the ball provides that reference point. It all goes towards trying to manage it in the first place without a caution and give them a chance to do the right thing.

As a side note, I never place the ball for players. They do it themselves and if I am not happy with the location, a quick double peep and telling them or pointing to the right location.

Would you book a coach for shouting 'stand on it' or persistently shouting 'stand on it' after you have given a clear instruction not to?
If its was a game involving juniors, I may be tempt to go over to the coach and speak with him.

Warn him that his comment could result in the player being cautioned.

Is that fair for the kid, or should I come and caution you? - if you continue.

Adults - just tell the players to get back, they know enough to know what they are doing.

Try watching Jarred Gillett when the VAR video was released.

He uses good verbal communication and it's something I use in my game now.

Back