A&H

Open Age Stamping Tackle (kind of)

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
Afternoon chaps,

Game yesterday, a very entertaining (from where I was) 3-3 draw - both teams going for it, the pitch wasn't the greatest, but a very decent game nonetheless.

There were a few meaty tackles but nothing too huge and despite it simmering at some points, I was pleased with how it went - also got some compliments at FT which was very nice too.

Anyway, an incident has had be thinking: half way through the second half, the ball's kind of in no man's land, two players heading for it from both directions - I was bracing for the awful 'both sliding in together' - but instead one of them gets there first, just, and kind of stamps into the ball - I'll try and explain it better, he kind of jumps slightly both feet into the ball, not playing the man, and firmly getting the ball.

He didn't commit a foul on the other player and being mindful of (mis)using 'intent', I didn't do anything and let play go on - the other player didn't say anything either, though there were a few 'ref!' shouts from one team.

Perhaps a stupid question, but should I have stopped it for dangerous play? And if so, book the tackler and restart with a DFK? - I suppose the same could be said if a player goes in to absolutely clean someone out but misses, what's the relevant action there?

Just something playing on my mind is all.

D

The Referee Store
If both feet are together and have left the ground then it certainly sounds like it was a reckless challenge so you'd be within your rights to caution. You'd probably get complaints, but can head these off by pointing out that it is only yellow because there was no contact with an opponent, and if there had been he would have been off even had he won the ball.

I suppose the same could be said if a player goes in to absolutely clean someone out but misses, what's the relevant action there?

D

Can't help you with your question - but was going to ask about the point above, but you beat me to it!

Had it a couple of times of late - a "tackle" that has had me wincing, or someone slides across the now muddy pitches, but competely misses both man and ball. What do you do about that?

If the other player was in playing distance of the ball then a caution is in order. Once he leaves the floor he is no longer in control of the outcome.

Can't help you with your question - but was going to ask about the point above, but you beat me to it!

Had it a couple of times of late - a "tackle" that has had me wincing, or someone slides across the now muddy pitches, but competely misses both man and ball. What do you do about that?
If he doesn't effect play then a warning suffices at next break in play. If play is effected and no real advantage can be given then a free kick , followed by a chat with captain or card depending on how promising the attach was.

This is assuming it's the first one. After the first public rebuke they all then get the pleasure of going in the book.

If both feet are together and have left the ground then it certainly sounds like it was a reckless challenge so you'd be within your rights to caution. You'd probably get complaints, but can head these off by pointing out that it is only yellow because there was no contact with an opponent, and if there had been he would have been off even had he won the ball.
I was going to say this :)

I suppose it falls under the 'trips or intended', 'punches or intended'.. Just a strong word should suffice, Warn that slightly mistimed thats goodnight Vienna...

If both feet have left the ground its dangerous and should be a red card.

Once both feet are off the ground that player is an unguided missile and it will be only luck, avoiding action from his opponent or a combination of both that will avoid a potentially serious injury.

If both feet have left the ground its dangerous and should be a red card.

Once both feet are off the ground that player is an unguided missile and it will be only luck, avoiding action from his opponent or a combination of both that will avoid a potentially serious injury.

I would agree, if there was an opponent anywhere near it. I've seen a player do this with no one close to him, and the only thing he endangered or used excessive force against was the ball.

Would agree with Padfoot only I would add if there is a player in the vicinity, if the other player is four feet away then a stern talking to and indirect free kick for playing in a dangerous manner.

if the other player is four feet away then a stern talking to and indirect free kick for playing in a dangerous manner.
PIADM requires either the threat of injury to someone or that a nearby opponent be prevented from playing the ball for fear of injury. If the nearest other player is four feet away I'm not sure that really meets the criteria.

PIADM requires either the threat of injury to someone or that a nearby opponent be prevented from playing the ball for fear of injury. If the nearest other player is four feet away I'm not sure that really meets the criteria.

Depends if the reason he is 4 ft away is that he saw the challenge coming in and checked his run to avoid potential injury......

Depends if the reason he is 4 ft away is that he saw the challenge coming in and checked his run to avoid potential injury......

4ft is a distance to run in a split second 'move out the way' don't you think?

im split between Rusty and Padders here - I think on this from what was described in the OP, and only the OP (we could go on forver with what ifs) - I would say you are in your right to strong word/yellow or red as you see fit or the temp of the game

personally though, on a generic answer basis - id say a yellow card and DFK, sounds like in the OP the other player was close enough that he could have been caught and potentially hurt

4ft is a distance to run in a split second 'move out the way' don't you think?

im split between Rusty and Padders here - I think on this from what was described in the OP, and only the OP (we could go on forver with what ifs) - I would say you are in your right to strong word/yellow or red as you see fit or the temp of the game

personally though, on a generic answer basis - id say a yellow card and DFK, sounds like in the OP the other player was close enough that he could have been caught and potentially hurt

But not that far if you take your foot off the gas and decide that being first to the ball isn't worth a broken ankle/leg.....which is why i said "checked his run" as opposed to "jumped out of the way" or similar.

Back