A&H

Spurs vs Chelsea

R

Runner-Ref

Thought I'd start this since we already know someone will 😁

The Referee Store
Yep - VAR working!

(As a wolves fan - I didn’t think I’d ever say that!)

Well now Romero's gone. Of course, I would say play should have been stopped prior to that incident to caution Sterling for simulation but hey ho.

Udogie could have certainly seen red for his challenge. I think what saves him is how much ball and how little man he gets

Romero would have been off for the kick out a couple of years back, but if I remember correctly, they tried to tighten VC up to say it needed to actually be violent rather than petulant (or something one those lines)

Romero 2nd challenge was refreshing to see VAR intervene and a RC issued

Sterling goal correctly disallowed

And then there was the other offside

Some half!

This might be one of the craziest games I’ve ever seen.

Think the offside/red/penalty is all bang on and a good use of VAR.

Completely lost on how Udogie wasn’t sent off. Two footed, totally out of control and clearly endangering the safety of an opponent. If Sterling doesn’t see that coming he’s looking at a broken leg.

Romero kick out cannot in any way, shape or form be described as 'violent'.

Udogie should have been red IMO.

As the saying goes, pick the bones out of that. Think they have just about got everything right. Udogie is as dark orange as it gets, but the fact he misses Sterling completely presumably saves him. Agree that Romero's kick out was petulant and not violent, but definitely a penalty and SFP so he's gone eventually. Clearly handling by Sterling for the disallowed goal, and offside correct given it went through Jackson's legs.

As things developed I though this was the last thing Howard Webb and his team needed, but VAR might actually come out of this with some credit.

Couple of KMIs then, what maximum is Oliver looking at?
Suppose there could have been four reds in that first half and it wouldn't have been completely out of place. Wonderful to watch, though.

Holy moly, it's no battle of the Bridge (yet), but given what's gone on the first half, could easily go that way! :eek:

4 goals disallowed (had Son's goal stood for 2-0 I would probably have turned off). Romero always has that air of a card waiting to happen for club and country. Crazy challenge, especially in his own penalty area. Spurs fans and players unhappy, but was always going to result in a red card considering similar challenges and outcomes already this season.

What is Reece James doing? Got a man advantage, no need for the arm up like that, even if it wasn't considered SFP/VC!

Whatever happened to those stats from a few years ago saying VAR was only being used about once every three games across the top European leagues, and that the average time per game for VAR reviews was 55 seconds? Seems to be a bit more frequent and using up much more time than that in the EPL these days.

Use of VAR remains pretty static across the seasons, at an intervention of 0.32 per-game -- or one every three games.

How VAR has changed the Premier League

2018 article from back when VAR only used up an average of 55 seconds per game.

Has VAR worked? Statistics behind worldwide use show positives

Well now Romero's gone. Of course, I would say play should have been stopped prior to that incident to caution Sterling for simulation but hey ho.

Any offense in the app is open to review leading to a PK. Red to Romero and IDFK to Spurs?

Genuine question. If the ref had blown for a Sterling dive or any other infringement say an offside, would Romero’s tackle not come into play and play is reset?
Or does ‘serious foul play’ or ‘excessive force” still count?

Now both Romero and Udogie are gone, some might say some while after they initially should have. Not sure what's gotten into Spurs' players but Chelsea - Spurs always seems to be feisty

Genuine question. If the ref had blown for a Sterling dive or any other infringement say an offside, would Romero’s tackle not come into play and play is reset?
Or does ‘serious foul play’ or ‘excessive force” still count?
SFP can only be for challenging for the ball so if the play is stopped then it can’t be SFP.

This is the most mental game I’ve seen in recent years. Udoghie decision is baffling

Back