A&H

Spurs vs Chelsea

Joshref

Rare great use of VAR, a Spurs penalty wrongly awarded with the foul from Rudiger outside the box given as a pen.

The reaction to the decision being overturned is what annoys me most, Spurs players surround the ref as Kane tells the ref he promises the foul was inside the box. Sure Harry!

Seeing as we normally get negativity on here about VAR (and rightly so), thought I’d post about a rare opportunity when it goes well.

The Referee Store
Rare great use of VAR, a Spurs penalty wrongly awarded with the foul from Rudiger outside the box given as a pen.

The reaction to the decision being overturned is what annoys me most, Spurs players surround the ref as Kane tells the ref he promises the foul was inside the box. Sure Harry!

Seeing as we normally get negativity on here about VAR (and rightly so), thought I’d post about a rare opportunity when it goes well.
The only thing that bugged me is the ref gave them the ball about 5m away from the actual foul, thus creating a much better angle for free kick.

Unfortunately, surrounding the ref is normal, until the Premier League referees actually actively book players at each occasion. Unfortunately, they pick and choose when they feel like it.

Good use of VAR

Cannot for the life of me see how he gave a penalty against Chelsea for the Kepa tackle. Surely between the referee and assistant they could see that challenge was perfect

Cannot for the life of me see how he gave a penalty against Chelsea for the Kepa tackle. Surely between the referee and assistant they could see that challenge was perfect

Might be the worst PK decision I've seen all season in England.

He obviously had a cheeky fiver on Kane getting that 250th goal tonight from a penalty 😉

Think the ref should have taken note of the new rules out in the AFCON tonight and ended the game at the stoppage.

That is exactly what VAR was brought in for. First penalty was tricky to spot real time but it was clearly outside of the penalty area so correct to change it. I am a big fan of Andre Marrinner but he has had a nightmare on the second penalty, that is one of the worst penalty decisions seen in recent times and VAR have corrected it. Again, what VAR was designed for.

One of the gems that immediately stands out - "That is the worst decision in history" 😂
Obviously the comedian that wrote this clearly doesn't understand the laws of the game and hasn't seen Schumacher's unpunished assault on Battiston in the '82 WC SF! :wall:

I didn't get a proper replay to look but the first penalty incident which was ruled to be outside the box. Was it not a DOGSO? The angle of the FK made it look like perhaps should have been?

I didn't get a proper replay to look but the first penalty incident which was ruled to be outside the box. Was it not a DOGSO? The angle of the FK made it look like perhaps should have been?
Just found a clip - definitely not. Carry on.

FK taken in the wrong place majorly.

50 seconds in.

is it the AR who gives the first one? ( as being inside the box)
i would be livid if my Ar flagged pk here, one, because its incorrect, and two, I would expect to be in a great position myself to call it.
Staggering to imagine without var, we have a pk awarded here

the second one is atrocious. I like this referee in all but his limited mobility. It has cost him big time here, calling a kmi from 40 yards away with no angle.

Is the standard really that poor that help is needed to rectify both these calls? These two calls are not difficult.
Two incorrect pks in one huge ( derby?) game, is not a good nights work

Last edited:
All 3 major decisions correctly overturned by VAR. Just a pity it took so long on each occasion. They were all very clear errors.

is it the AR who gives the first one? ( as being inside the box)
i would be livid if my Ar flagged pk here, one, because its incorrect, and two, I would expect to be in a great position myself to call it.
Staggering to imagine without var, we have a pk awarded here
Why? The AR has almost certainly got a better view as to whether it is inside or out than the referee as he is looking right across the line. I would absolutely want help from my AR here, especially with comms when it can be done discreetly.

Why? The AR has almost certainly got a better view as to whether it is inside or out than the referee as he is looking right across the line. I would absolutely want help from my AR here, especially with comms when it can be done discreetly.

You are welcome to that help, a clearly incorrect call !

Where would you expect to be as referee? Hopefully in a place, and angle, to be able to call this one.

both incorrect pks were quick breaks. Sadly, freeze the frame at the point of contact in both incidents. You will notice something/someone, missing from your still.

the referee.

none of the three incidents last night were difficult. Each and every person reading this would be distraught to give two pks wrongly in game, with or without ars.

Back