A&H

Speaking and Dealing with Players

JRef

Level 7 Referee
I was just wondering if there were any good things to say to players when warning them to prevent it from happening again. Such as if this happens again it will be a different conversation.

The Referee Store
'There is an easy way and an expensive way..... You decide!!!

'Shall I reserve you a parking space at the County FA, they may want to see you personally after this game!!'

My go to is just:

Settle it down please.

Everything else depends on the nature of the challenge. If it is too forceful/dangerous, I will tell them straight that I'm not happy with it and he needs to cut it out. - If you do use that though, you must caution him the moment he does it again.

'There is only one bloke getting paid today to referee this game and i've some bad news!! It's not you!!'

For arguments about tackles such as when the defender wins the ball but the studs are high (dangerous), "I won't allow any tackles like that and it's the same for both teams". Nice and loud so that everyone hears It, end of the issue. For dissent, unless it's clearly bad enough for a card, "I've enough on being a ref and both linesman today, I won't be putting up with this too, anymore chat and it's straight to the cards". Again nice and loud so it's heard by all.

I try and have a laugh, bit of banter with the players so that when when you do need to change tone it resonates!

I tend to not back myself into a corner that I may not follow up on the threat of a card. So in most cases its a stern "Enough. No more of it. Anymore and I will take serious action" and the body language to go with it. Its kind of open ended and can be followed up by a more serious bollocking or a card.
On rare occasions I threaten with a card but will always follow up if it doesn't improve.

My go to line is 'You can either take my advice on board or you can continue with what you're doing. You'll only hear the full time whistle with one of them'

'No more of those please' - that way you're not backed into a corner for next challenge, but can easily give a yellow if needed.

I was just wondering if there were any good things to say to players when warning them to prevent it from happening again. Such as if this happens again it will be a different conversation.

I think it rather depends on what it is they've done that you didn't like. I quite often just say "Please don't do that again." Sometimes I'll say "That's the last time you'll get away with that," particularly if it's dissent.

In my opinion trying to be witty or clever doesn't help when you're telling a player not to do something.

"That was ugly, don't make me make any more decision for tackles like that".
"Seen it and I will remember you the rest of the game"
"Enough, no more"
or to the Capt "I had enough of him, so deal with him or I will"

Short, sharp and to the point, not a discussion.

I knew a ref who was known for saying "this is a one way conversation and am doing the talking" cant say I would use that, but, it was his thing

Mine is a very simple "be careful please" as I show the yellow card. If it's a final warning before the caution then it might vary, but will usually be along the lines of "that's your last one, the next time a card is coming out".

Short, sharp and to the point, not a discussion.

I knew a ref who was known for saying "this is a one way conversation and am doing the talking" cant say I would use that, but, it was his thing
I've used something similar. I tend to tell them I havent called them in or for benches come over to have a discussion/chat. Please listen to what I have to say so we can move on with the game.

Suppose tbh am similar, esp when dealing with dissent, I do tend to go "right, you have had your say, now, its my turn"

Benches, if am called by AR for a warning I tend to go along lines of "my AR was told if he gets me across that someone is going, however he has talked me into simply warning you, do not give me reason to come over again" Thinking being, after this, they might try to work with the AR, and they are left in no doubt that if I do come back over,well, someone is away

Back