A&H

Spain V Germany

Been a good game. Spain should've had a FK on the edge of the PA in added time (90). That wasn't safe but bad refereeing. It was Germany never a PK, even by UEFA standards
Otherwise AT has been good game. Tactical fouls (cheating) have been a problemo. Sin Bins back on the table
On queue Spain score with 60s left. Neither side deserves to lose TBF even if one of them is German
Nothing AT could do about the card count BTW
Surely the best two sides on the Comp... unless England metamorphosize

Last edited:
A&H International
This is something I don't like...

Carvajal already suspended for next game and literally takes one for the team with what I'd argue is more than reckless and gets sent off in last seconds.
Would you consider straight red (not for my reasons above)... I'm thinking he literally wrapped his arms around the Germans head/neck to stop him. Dangerous play?

Carvajal already suspended for next game and literally takes one for the team with what I'd argue is more than reckless and gets sent off in last seconds.
Would you consider straight red (not for my reasons above)... I'm thinking he literally wrapped his arms around the Germans head/neck to stop him. Dangerous play?
I think there was four tactical fouls. The cheating type that IFAB dreamt up the Sin Bin idea for
I don't know what the solution is there as the Sin Bin idea got massively rebuffed

If the Chellini play on Saka in the last Euro final wasn't a straight red (but honestly I thought that one was), this one wasn't a straight red in my opinion (and wasn't even in a vacuum without any context). Rob Green on the US broadcast summed it up well as you did - Carvajal knew he was already suspended for the next game anyway, so he did what he felt he had to do.

Overall, I thought Taylor did well. I was concerned early with the two early fouls that I personally felt were misconduct, but I felt he struck the right balance. Was personally happy with the non-handball call - I just didn't see that as "creating a barrier". This game was just going to have a lot of cards. I've been in the crowd for a match with 14 cautions and 2 send-offs before and felt like the referee in that game was brilliant, so I do not ever feel like "lots of cards = a bad refereeing performance".

Not a fun spot for Attwell to be put in with that handball shout. I think UEFA will say he was correct to not send AT to the monitor but he will probably still get a lot of heat for it with Germany going out.

Well I'd hope she knows more than me...
You know more than you 'let on'. You're certainly well across what UEFA are telling Refs to do

I don't understand a world in which the guidance is selectively given to elite refs only

Christina mentioned that because the hand was behind the back, that detracts from giving a PK. That guidance came out 3 months ago apparently
DID IT!? I missed that memo

It's time HB law rewritten, I'd have given it as his arm is away from body (I know, I know!) but only cos law is really not fit for purpose.
I can also see why it wasn't given as well....but in real time I said "pen"

You know more than you 'let on'. You're certainly well across what UEFA are telling Refs to do

I don't understand a world in which the guidance is selectively given to elite refs only

Christina mentioned that because the hand was behind the back, that detracts from giving a PK. That guidance came out 3 months ago apparently
DID IT!? I missed that memo
Came to post this. Great that Christina got the memo. But it is very weird if Uefa keep moving the goalposts. It would be nice to know. Maybe highlights that their previous interpretation was daft!

I watched it back again and I do think Cucurella should be off to get a lottery ticket.

His right arm (opposite side to the shot), he tucks in, but the left moves away from his body into the the path of the ball. If the Denmark finger flicking is a penalty, then this…

Although that said the Denmark one went in Germany’s favour and this went against.

Anyone would think these things have a habit of evening out 😉

I don’t necessarily agree with this way but … in hockey if it hits your foot on the area it’s a penalty corner.

Could we have something similar? If it hits your hand accidental or not it’s a sanction , penalty / some kind of penalty corner? Peoples thoughts?

I’d back this with the possible caveat for rebounding off your own body like heading onto your arm.

Sanctions are moving in this direction with the 24/25 laws that a non-deliberate is punished like other offences.

Taylor did not have good game. Not bad, just not great.

Besides other things in the match Kroos could've been carded twice before he got one, which he probably wouldn't have gone for if he was anyway sitting on a yellow already. And then the big barge in the Spanish bloke's back when he was heading into the box would've seen a second from me.

Great entertainment though. Excellent match.

Taylor did not have good game. Not bad, just not great.

Besides other things in the match Kroos could've been carded twice before he got one, which he probably wouldn't have gone for if he was anyway sitting on a yellow already. And then the big barge in the Spanish bloke's back when he was heading into the box would've seen a second from me.

Great entertainment though. Excellent match.
I get the style of managing early game cards but the one he didn't give to Kroos around the 5th minute is a 100% nailed on cannot manage yellow. Maybe if he gives that he doesn't end up with 15 or 16.

Back