A&H

Spain/Croatia (Oliver)

A&H International
I have to say provided England don't get there I reckon MO and his team will be in with a good shout for the final if they perform well in this game. Brilliant officials (some of the best in Europe/the world IMO).

I have to say provided England don't get there I reckon MO and his team will be in with a good shout for the final if they perform well in this game. Brilliant officials (some of the best in Europe/the world IMO).

It might be tough as Taylor has been ranked above him within UEFA during recent seasons.

It might be tough as Taylor has been ranked above him within UEFA during recent seasons.
I can never get my head around that tbh. I personally think MO is a better official, but AT is right behind him so either way it would be a good appointment for England's officials. The fact that UEFA rank AT higher is why I was surprised they gave this game to MO as it will be a huge game, and possibly very tight.

I can never get my head around that tbh. I personally think MO is a better official, but AT is right behind him so either way it would be a good appointment for England's officials. The fact that UEFA rank AT higher is why I was surprised they gave this game to MO as it will be a huge game, and possibly very tight.
Agreed

Should it have been a red for the penalty, in law?
Personally, I am questioning a penalty. He felt contact, kicked the floor and went down. I don't think rodri did enough to actually foul him.

Good call on the encroachment.

Did VAR have the view of PK encroachment from the opposite angle of our TV coverage?

Without that is it a guess?

Should it have been a red for the penalty, in law?
Personally, I am questioning a penalty. He felt contact, kicked the floor and went down. I don't think rodri did enough to actually foul him.

Good call on the encroachment.
I think with the rewording of the rule as of 23-24, it essentially rules out a red for any tackle in the area that isn't involving the hands or isn't completely off the ball* so I think he's made the right decision by virtue of the ball being in the vicinity of the player who was fouled. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

*And obviously red card offences like endangering the safety of an opponent, violent conduct, etc that lie outside of this realm

22-23 season or earlier and he probably has to walk for it.

Last edited:
I personally think it was a red card and a penalty. Once the penalty was given, as per law 12 if there isn’t a possibly to play the ball it should be a red card.
I can see why a caution came out but would expect VAR to intervene?

I personally think it was a red card and a penalty. Once the penalty was given, as per law 12 if there isn’t a possibly to play the ball it should be a red card.
I can see why a caution came out but would expect VAR to intervene?

Per law 12 possibility to play the ball isn't the standard anymore.

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY (DOGSO)

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.), the offending player must be sent off.

Law 12 from lotg

The attacker dove instead of kicking the ball into an empty goal. He deserved everything that happened.

Based on all current instruction this meet the requirements to be challenging for the ball.

Maybe he deserved it.

I would respectfully disagree with it being deemed as ‘challenging for the ball’.

from the defenders position has he any possibility of making contact with the ball, not even close.

Maybe he deserved it.

I would respectfully disagree with it being deemed as ‘challenging for the ball’.

from the defenders position has he any possibility of making contact with the ball, not even close.

I would agree with you that DOGSO might have swung too far the other way but I'm very very confident this will be supported as a yellow by Rosetti and UEFA.

"
Explanation
It is not always clear whether an action was an attempt to play the ball or a
challenge for the ball (or both). The same principle should apply for challenging
for the ball as attempting to play the ball. Where the referee awards a penalty for
a DOGSO offence, the offending player is only sent off if the offence was
committed without the possibility to play the ball."

Back