A&H

South Korea - Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
This is interesting. Foul on SK player, they loose the ball and Mexico score down the other end. no VAR. Not clear and obvious?

I hate it and it's not according to the book - but it is according to the guidelines.
The sooner it's fixed in the book the better.

A handball no longer has to be remotely "deliberate" (meaning) so it would make sense to fix the book.

Completely 100% agree with this. I played in defence so spent most games diving in front of shots and crosses, where you arm is doesn't even cross your mind. Players are not, and I don't think FIFA have worked this out, penguins and cannot throw their body with their arms pinned to their sides.

Under the ludicrous current interpretations then I agree with the penalty, but I don't agree with the interpretations.

Also agree. The approach current interpretations take is guilty unless proven innocent. It should be the other way around.

Just seen the PK decision. I'd agree that this is a clear penalty. Sliding in to block with an arm raised is tough titty imo

I've compared it before to a long jumper. Granted a player diving in to block a shot or cross isn't following the same technique, at least not consciously anyway, but their body is likely to take a similar shape that will involve the arms coming up / out. In saying that such a handling incident is automatically intentional and a penalty, FIFA / IFAB are effectively saying that diving in to block a shot on goal is now not allowed. Or if allowed then they are saying that if it hits your arms in such a move then it is a penalty regardless of your intent.

This comes back to my view that the people making the laws don't actually understand what playing the game involves.

10o380x.png

I wasn't so keen on that idea that ALL ball to hand incidents (when going to ground) should be given as HB, but the Korean player effectively 'saved' the ball like a keeper whether intentional or not

I wasn't so keen on that idea that ALL ball to hand incidents (when going to ground) should be given as HB, but the Korean player effectively 'saved' the ball like a keeper whether intentional or not

Is it telling that, there was not too much protest, esp from the player himself?

Am same as you typed, am not penalising even when player is grounded but for me, he blocked/saved it

Arm is parallel to his body, if he’s trying to make himself bigger, he’s not very good at it
Wait what?

Are you even looking at the same incident as the rest of the world?

His arm was perpendicular.

Key here is how it “should” be applied. Whole law needs rewriting before this happens. Can’t apply something that isn’t there. Then again, there isn’t much in the LOTG past the cover page that is well written
And this is why FIFA puts together the Futuro III releases each year for instructors. Those instructors are supposed to direct instructors underneath them who direct the referees/etc.

The Futuro III CLEARLY states (and shows) that the slide here is handling. At all levels.

Wait what?

Are you even looking at the same incident as the rest of the world?

His arm was perpendicular.

And this is why FIFA puts together the Futuro III releases each year for instructors. Those instructors are supposed to direct instructors underneath them who direct the referees/etc.

The Futuro III CLEARLY states (and shows) that the slide here is handling. At all levels.

It may well show that, but that’s not what the law says.

Hi
FIFA at a number of senior official training camps have been advising that any contact on the arm in a slide tackle is DHB. Full stop. That is the instruction not whether it is deliberate or not. Videos show to the groups are even more unintentional that the one here and the advice is to call it as handling. It is based on the notion that the slide is to stop the ball at all costs. If a FIFA ref is told to call those then that is what he does. He might not agree yet that is not his gift if he wants to stay at the tournament, be selected for future games and tournaments.

Hi
FIFA at a number of senior official training camps have been advising that any contact on the arm in a slide tackle is DHB. Full stop. That is the instruction not whether it is deliberate or not. Videos show to the groups are even more unintentional that the one here and the advice is to call it as handling. It is based on the notion that the slide is to stop the ball at all costs. If a FIFA ref is told to call those then that is what he does. He might not agree yet that is not his gift if he wants to stay at the tournament, be selected for future games and tournaments.
That's a load of tosh.........change the law if that's how you want it to be interpreted.

99% of handballs are unintentional. The consequences of doing it is usually match changing so why would you intentionally do it especially in the box! Why are they tinkering for tinkerings sake? I never had any issue in giving an honest appraisal on what I saw..... usually it was ball to hand, although that never stopped the fuitless appeals.

Hi
I believe it was a deliberate handball in this case. However if "any contact on arm in a slide is DBH" was the case then if the referee does not call it it would be a clear and obvious error. In Argentina Vs Iceland there was a good example of it in the 42nd minute, no call from the ref and no review so not sure if your statement is entirely correct. Here is the vid.

https://ok.ru/video/790923119138?fromTime=2952

Hi

If that is true the clubs and nations should get together and rebel against FIFA to get the guidance overturned. As a player you need to know where you stand, and being told that you were guilt of intentionally handling the ball when it was a complete accident is farcical, and stops players from doing their jobs properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back