A&H

South Korea - Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that referees who care enough to post on a forum are saying they wouldn't call that tells me there is a shocking gap in knowledge of how the handball law should be applied. And a lot of that is IFABs fault. They need to improve the guidance in the LOTG.

That was such an easy decision for the ref.

The Referee Store
I hate it and it's not according to the book - but it is according to the guidelines.
The sooner it's fixed in the book the better.

A handball no longer has to be remotely "deliberate" (meaning) so it would make sense to fix the book.

And no YCs for minor offences here either... targeted fouling early on by SK.

And you only get VAR on a Thusday or Tuesday if the ref didn't blow, and only then not for holding.

Completely agree - would give this every time because it’s what lawmakers want calling. BUT I fail to see how it’s deliberate and, by the very letter of the law, shouldn’t be a penalty as the law is currently written.

The fact that referees who care enough to post on a forum are saying they wouldn't call that tells me there is a shocking gap in knowledge of how the handball law should be applied. And a lot of that is IFABs fault. They need to improve the guidance in the LOTG.

Key here is how it “should” be applied. Whole law needs rewriting before this happens. Can’t apply something that isn’t there. Then again, there isn’t much in the LOTG past the cover page that is well written

'Deliberate' implies reading their mind - it needs removing and some more useful guidance to replace it.

The fact that referees who care enough to post on a forum are saying they wouldn't call that tells me there is a shocking gap in knowledge of how the handball law should be applied.

Thing is this interpretation/guideline has been clear in the top flight only for last season.
I know it is a pen in prem. And here.
Still very very hard to give at grassroots and in my opinion this shouldn't be the guideline.

We would all be much better off if we stuck to a more obvious definition of deliberate - that didn't include non-deliberate acts like this! But did include an allowance for e.g. defending yourself. But that's just me.

Something like, "if you allow a ball to strike your hand/arm" you might be penalised, could suit better than "deliberate"?

I think something simply like in the opinion of the referee, ball striking your arm enables you to gain an advantage.

Would still need guidance but would mean calling ones like this pen would at least fall within the law

(actually as Martin says, terrible defending for the pen and it is a clear pen - even 5 years ago this could have been given - easy decision)

No yellow for SPA on the pen?
No. Awarding a penalty restores balance. No yellow is needed. (Think of it in terms of not over punishing a DOGSO by only awarding a yellow when a pen is given).

We discussed this on another handball pen decision earlier in the tournament.

No. Awarding a penalty restores balance. No yellow is needed. (Think of it in terms of not over punishing a DOGSO by only awarding a yellow when a pen is given).

But there is no basis for that in law... is there?

(But it is what football expects)

Law states that:
  • commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball
And handling surely isn't attempt to play the ball?

So as @santa sangria said, not giving yc is what football expects (what ever that means).

Law states that:
  • commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball

So as @santa sangria said, not giving yc is what football expects (what ever that means).
I'm wrong here then. It was PK in this case.

EDIT: or not wrong ;)

Last edited:
From the new 2018-19 laws:

"During 2018/19, The IFAB, working with its expert panels, will continue to
consult widely on a number of important Law-related topics, including:
• Player behaviour, with special focus on:
•• the role of the captain
••measures to tackle time-wasting
• A potentially fairer system of taking kicks from the penalty mark
• Potential use of red and yellow cards for non-playing members in the
technical area
• Handball
• Offside"

Perhaps they will update the handball law next time...

"There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for
unsporting behaviour including if a player:
handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack
• commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except
where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt
to play the ball"

Handball for SPA isn't affected by penalty/no penalty

Wow the cumulative card we think... but no signal from the ref... does someone at the tournament have something against the cumulocard?

Law states that:

Did you edit this then and thus change the meaning?

One of the the FIFA published considerations for handball which didn't make its way into the the lotg was "Does the player attempt to avoid the ball striking the hand? " This would have been a very good consideration here for the pen. The player did the opposite of attempting to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back