A&H

Something in the water down the Maryhill way...

Attwell will attest to this not being a one off. Even in my limited experience, I've had moments in games in which i've completely lost track of what just happened (fortunately in the middle of the park). These referees are no different from any of us. If it happens to them, we are also at risk, even if it hasn't happened yet

The Referee Store
Seeing the stadiums demise from a record 50,000 crowd to todays 10,000 capacity in the 20 years gap in the films is startling. Not sure if the sun was the problem but something seems amiss!!

Seeing the stadiums demise from a record 50,000 crowd to todays 10,000 capacity in the 20 years gap in the films is startling. Not sure if the sun was the problem but something seems amiss!!

Not quite, Firhill had a 20k capacity early 80s at a guess
The 50k crowd is prob 1920/30
The second clip is from 1993, prob 5,000 max in that day.

I dont think a 4th would even have been able to help tho tbh...(4th would be direct across from camera at the side the AR and ref chatted at)

Not sure as the 4th official sorted this one out. P.S., I don't condone the language and sexist comments made by the clown with the camera …!

P.P.S. The goal was eventually given, seemingly after the 4th official belatedly got involved once he realised he other officials were not going to get to the correct decision.

I wonder if anyone of the officials took the rap for the goal inspection!
AR2 (?) is probably keeping a very low profile - and checking the net properly next time!

Considering the reaction from both sets of players and the referee after the "goal", the AR must have said conclusively it didn't go in? Up until the conversation, the referee was happy to award the goal.

first clip oops!
Second clip oops!
Third clip When the NAR checked the nets it probably was fine. If the tape is old or a clip pops off during a game that can't be helped. Seen that happen twice this season.

What this comes down to is positioning, I think. Watch carefully - I think the AR got caught ball watching, and it went downhill from there. Now, don't get me wrong - even being out of position the AR should have gotten this one right, and the referee should have been able to overrule the AR here. But watch the AR carefully. As the ball is moving out from goal (before the shot), the AR seems to get caught ball watching a little and is a bit behind the 2nd last line of defence. He realises this and takes some very rapid side steps to catch up. What this means is that as the shot is taken the AR is moving UPFIELD, pulling him out of a spot where he can tell if it's clearly crossed the line. From there we can only assume it's a trick of the angle or the keeper blocking his view of the ball hitting the net, perhaps compounded by the AR's main priority at this moment is getting back into position, so that's occupying his mind. But basically, the AR's mind is probably focussed on catching up and the offside line, meaning he isn't able to dedicate enough mental processing power to the incident at hand. If he was in correct position, then the moment the ball is kicked he doesn't need to think too much about offside position, so 'ball over the line' becomes his primary thought as he sprints to the line.
What SHOULD have happened is the AR is right in line with the 2nd last defender and as soon as the shot is taken, start sprinting for the line (situational awareness is so important). He would have been much closer to the line then and been able to focus on the ball.
Now, the ball hit the side net, not the back. So I think the AR causing a problem has made the referee doubt himself, when the ref would no doubt have given it if he was by himself.

Last edited:
Back